Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FMQ learning curve - try what?

Another Janome 6600 owner (and lover) here. I also have the blue dot bobbin case and clear foot--and they make a huge difference, IMO. I always set the machine to Mode 2; foot pressure 1. For me, machingers gloves are a must.

Blog Entries
    I think your practice and study has paid off. Thanks for all your hard work collecting this valuable info.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    Okay, ladies. Help me out. I have the Janome 12000MC and have the bobbin with the yellow dot. Then there's the regular bobbin without a dot a'tall. What on earth are the blue dots and red dots? What are they supposed to do?
    I am also wanting to use the quilting motifs that are built into this machine. Feathers, hearts, other cool stuff. Is anyone out there doing any of this type of machine quilting?
    Thanks to everyone who talks a lot on this board. I've learned sooo much!!
    Pat
    Eliminate "can't" from your vocabulary and see what happens.

Thank you for your invaluable information and pics. You sure do great FMQ. Terrific!

Power Poster
    JanTX - your advice has been great!

It can also apply to trying to get the tensions right on a serger - one small change at a time!

I have the 6600 and found via the Janome 6600 yahoo group a couple of things that helped me greatly. I adjusted the bobbin tension just a little, I set my top tension knob at 7, use mode 1 or 2 - don't adjust stitch length at all and put pressure foot dial at 0. I set my speed at about medium and put on my fons & porter gloves! Then I FMQ - works like a charm every time! I use just regular needles, but a new one when I start quilting. I also fill several bobbins with thread before I begin to save time later.

Blog Entries
    I think your stitches look great!! You are to be congratulated!! Keep up the good work!!

Sure looks good to me. FMQ intimidates the heck out of me so have not really given it a try but one of these days I definitely am going to give it a whirl. Tks for your helpful suggestions.
    Dance like no one is watching

Jan: Thank you for starting this thread and contributing your hard earned knowledge. I am about four months into my adventures with FM. Hope to be as far along as you in a year. I lucked out in that my machine did very well in terms of tension etc., now the thread on the bottom doesn't have the stitch definition I would like. Will try some of your trouble shooting methods. The skill I have acquired so far is a better feel for the speed of the machine vs the speed of my hands. I hope it will all come with time. My word to anyone starting out, don't be afraid, just jump right in. My first FM quilt has a lot of flaws but gave me enough encouragement to keep on going.

No matter what machine you use fmq takes practice and lots of it. Drawing your design first on paper or a dry mark board or preview plastic are all ways to get the design into your muscle memory, so when you get to your machine it comes automatically. Using a practice sandwich of a fq or 1/2 yard really does make a huge difference in what your stitches look like. I didn't do this until recently and have been fmq for 10 yrs. It DID make a difference and to the good. Plus do your trial on the practice sandwich to test your tension, types of thread, needle size, etc. If it messes up, you don't need to rip it. I've also found my machine just doesn't like some kinds of thread and no matter what I change to try to make it work, it doesn't. Eyelashing on the back is not a tension issue, usually, but not coordinating the movement of the fabric with the speed you're sewing. So in other words, you're moving the fabric too fast in relation to the speed you are stitching. I also highly suggest watching Leah Day on her website. She explains all of this plus you can watch free videos of her stitching hundreds of stitches. You can find her at daystyledesigns.com or the freemotionquilting project.com.

Looks good to me.

Great tips, and practice, practice, practice. You really should try to make a sandwich of the fabrics and batting that you are using in the quilt. Make it large enough that you can work out all the tension issues and machine related problems before you start on your quilt. Ask me how I know

Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
    Thanks, Jan. I really want to try FMQ again. Last time I tried I couldn't even sew a
    straight line without having all kinds of nests at the bottom.
    The biggest reason I get nests when FMQ is because I forget to put the pressure foot down. When using what I call the FMQ foot - it's easy to forget as it doesn't sit down on the fabric even when the pressure foot is down.

I also have a Janome 6600 and I love it. I use the blue dot bobbin holder and always put a new needle in. I hardly have any problems with skipped stitches. I usually use Gutterman thread - but have used other successfully.
    Last edited by klgls; 05-06-2013 at 08:54 AM.

The quilting looks wonderful! And I love all the tips.. Sometimes while quilting, it is good to just slow down and take a breath and relax.. I always have to remind myself it is not a race to get it done..
    Brenda in Indiana

Blog Entries
    Hi JanTX, I started on the FMQ quest about 3 months ago, I am on my second quilt, I love your pictures, you are doing great! I am not there yet but I am practicing. I love the tips you gave and will trying those too. I have an old Singer 15-91 it's working pretty well, not thread breaking or knots of thread on bottom side. Like you, I am getting some of the kinks worked out. I'm looking forward to see more of your work!! Debbie
    Mother yourself just as you would your own children, you will be surprised how much better you feel...Debbie Marie

Blog Entries
    Another thing I love for FMQ is Little Genie Magic Bobbin washers. They sometimes help with the loops on the back. I love my Supreme slider to help move your quilt around easier. I also like my my Machingers gloves. I have also tried using a throat plate for my Janome with a single hole in it instead of the normal slit that comes with the machine. I have a Janome 9700. The washers and the throat plate have pretty much solved the loops on the back for me.

I also have the 6600 Janome and love it. I have learned though that it performs best when you use bobbins that are specially designed for this machine. These bobbins have grooves set in them and I don't know it that's the secret or if they are just slightly a different size as most plastic bobbins, but I can tell a difference. I obtain these at my local sewing machine shop and also use Organ brand needles. Since I started using both the bobbins and the needles, my FMQ has been much easier without thread breaking and skipped stitches. I also have done many of the things you listed and find that it really helps to keep these things in mind to make the process much easier.

so2sew makes a really good point, it is so important to use the right bobbin, you will never succeed with FMQ with the wrong bobbin.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2