Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ my first quilt! >

FMQ my first quilt!

FMQ my first quilt!

Old 11-13-2014, 12:40 PM

Thank you. Kristi, I do that too. I know what you're talking about.

KenmoreGal2, have you ever used the machine in your avatar to free motion? I have the same machine...probably diff. name. Mine is green.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

I wiggley lined my first one, second one was swirls and loops.
who know what the next will bring. a big learning curve.

congrats to you for doing your first of many. have fun and RELAX!!
Old 11-13-2014, 02:05 PM

I know what you mean - sometimes even if the quilt is not being pulled by its own weight one way or the other, you find you don't start back up in the exact same direction. Part of this problem is visibility! you can't always see completely the sewing path you were no because it is behind your needle and it is difficult to accurately more forward.

I think the poster who said 'think about where you are going' is good though difficult advice. I try to stop at a point where I am not in the middle of a curve, but with your photo it looks like that is impossible!

If you are not following a line, maybe you should try marking a little chalk line right where you leave off before you move both your hands around? I just thought of that now, and I will try it myself. My meandering style has the same little quirks yours does.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Thank you. Kristi, I do that too. I know what you're talking about.

KenmoreGal2, have you ever used the machine in your avatar to free motion? I have the same machine...probably diff. name. Mine is green.
Yes I FMQ with that machine. It's my main machine. You have it in green? Mine's a Kenmore 117.841 from 1958.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:45 PM

Wow I think you are doing a great job... keep going it is really pretty...
Old 11-13-2014, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

When you reposition your hands, try to make sure you are not on a curve. Looks like you are doing fine. It is like riding a bike or driving a car. Just takes practice !!
Old 11-13-2014, 05:06 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
When you are practicing, make sure the needle isn't under tension. That when I find that it jumps. Repositioning often wiggles the fabric around and sometimes I don't realize that the quilt is pulling on the needle (even though it's in the down position). Sometimes I jiggle the fabric on purpose to make sure that it's not pulling on the needle in some odd direction. I know that's hard to describe...hope it makes sense...
This was my thought too. Also, someone once told me to take that first stitch after you have stopped to reposition your hands in the same hole that you ended in. Go up then back down in the same hole then carry on with your pattern. I think that might give your hands the opportunity to get moving in the right direction again and keep the stitching line smooth. Not sure I am making this clear but maybe you do understand what I am trying to say.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:36 PM

It's happening less frequently as I get more practice under my belt, but I think it just may be like riding a bike. I need for my hands to learn to do it as well as my mind.

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
Yes I FMQ with that machine. It's my main machine. You have it in green? Mine's a Kenmore 117.841 from 1958.
Your's is much prettier in the two tone. Mine is a deep green all over and is branded as a White. I have in my notes that this is the same machine as the Kenmore 117.840. 117.841, 117.842, or a Pfaff 139. Mine was made by Gritzner-Kayser. It's a great machine. Do you have a photo of the foot you use for free motion on it?
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0229-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 11-14-2014, 02:18 AM

I love that dark olive green. Great looking machine.
The starts and stops are hardly noticeable. You have to look to see them and I don't think anyone would recognize them as not being intentional. If the recipient complains they're too picky. You're doing a great job and you'll get even better as you go.
Rodney
Old 11-14-2014, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Your's is much prettier in the two tone. Mine is a deep green all over and is branded as a White. I have in my notes that this is the same machine as the Kenmore 117.840. 117.841, 117.842, or a Pfaff 139. Mine was made by Gritzner-Kayser. It's a great machine. Do you have a photo of the foot you use for free motion on it?
I like your dark green machine! It's so shiny. Mine is indeed GK and I love it. It was my Mom's. It's in the original blonde wood cabinet which is so handy.

Here are some photos of the foot. I was given this foot and one with a clear bottom and spring. I could not get the spring one to work on this machine, the fabric kept flagging. This all metal one is great!! I don't know the model number or anything but I have seen pics of similar ones on the web. I took a picture of it installed on my machine. I find that I can't push it all the way up on the bar (what's the technical word??), I have to screw it on a bit low. Otherwise I get a lot of flagging fabrics. I understand the machine came with a straight stitch throat plate which may help but I don't have one. PM me if you want to go into detail about the specifics. It may get dull for those who don't own this machine.

Edited to add that I also keep the presser foot pressure as tight as it can go (is that the correct term??) Otherwise more fabric flagging. I do have the feed dogs down though.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]498762[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]498763[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]498764[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_5512.jpg   100_5513.jpg   100_5514.jpg  

Last edited by KenmoreGal2; 11-14-2014 at 05:52 AM.