Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ question >

FMQ question

FMQ question

Old 06-22-2011, 09:05 PM

This is my first attempt at FMQ. My stitches are too long. What am I
doing wrong? Am I not moving my hands as fast as my machine, or
the opposite? Or? Thank you for the answer I know someone out there will have for me.
Marilyn
Old 06-22-2011, 09:08 PM

The opposite. You need to speed up your machine or slow down your movement. It's easier to speed up the machine.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Banned

set your machine speed to what sounds like a comfortable speed. That is rev it up. However, don't try to go fast but rather a medium speed. Then practice moving your hands in sync or balance to the speed of the machine.
Just doodle until you feel comfortable. Keep doodling until it feels right. Now, don't ever let both hand leave the quilt at the same time. If you do you loose control.
If you feel you need to move a hand for better control then STOP the machine with needle down while still holding the fabric and repositiokn hands. Start the machine and let it stitch in place until you have control. Don't get in the habit of moving your hands when the machine starts, the first stitches will be reallllllllly big. I don't agree that faster is better. Go the speed that gives you the quality of the stitch you want.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:26 AM

I literally cannot have the machine going too fast. It makes me a nervous wreck. Vibrating machine, me trying to keep up, OMG, was hilarious when I first started doing it. Now I set my machine at just under med. speed and its a much calmer experience.

Find what is a comfortable speed for you to move the fabric, then adjust your speed of the machine. :thumbup:
Old 06-23-2011, 07:04 AM
Banned

Hardest thing I had to learn for FMQ - machine runs fast, hands move slow. We're so used to the opposite because when piecing the machine feeds as fast at the motor runs. Good luck - a friend reminded me one tie - BREATHE. It's something we concentrate and forget to do. LOL