Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ on a Singer 301 >

FMQ on a Singer 301

FMQ on a Singer 301

Old 08-19-2011, 02:37 AM

Is your 301 table a "new product" if yes where did you obtain...Or is it vintage? I have a 301 and need a table...I have a 301A in it's own cabinet. I was thinking of purchasing the Gidget for the 301...

OH and it's great for FM
Old 08-19-2011, 07:53 AM

Will all your comments be true for a 401? :) Just aquired one... and was thinking maybe it would be good for FMQ?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
Is your 301 table a "new product" if yes where did you obtain...Or is it vintage? I have a 301 and need a table...I have a 301A in it's own cabinet. I was thinking of purchasing the Gidget for the 301...

OH and it's great for FM
No this is a vintage product--but in the picture looks brand new---will post pictures when I get it later today.

Sibyl
Old 08-19-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
Will all your comments be true for a 401? :) Just aquired one... and was thinking maybe it would be good for FMQ?
As much as I love the 401s, they have a horizontal drop in bobbin vs the vertical bobbin that the 301 has. Also you can't drop the feed dogs, in fact you elevate the plate to remove it. I have not heard of anyone having real good success FMQ with it, but that isn't to say it can't be done---it's always worth a try---make a fabric sandwich and give it a try.

Sibyl
Old 08-19-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Essiescott
Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
As much as I love the 401s, they have a horizontal drop in bobbin vs the vertical bobbin that the 301 has. Also you can't drop the feed dogs, in fact you elevate the plate to remove it. I have not heard of anyone having real good success FMQ with it, but that isn't to say it can't be done---it's always worth a try---make a fabric sandwich and give it a try.

Sibyl
Ahhh, gotcha. Thanks for the info. :) I havent really ever tried it... so, i guess I better just dive in! :)
Old 08-19-2011, 09:21 AM

The first FMQ I did was 20 years ago on a 750 Touch & Sew - many years before I even knew what FMQ was, or knew that a drop-in bobbin and slant needle added up to trouble. The quilting is actually pretty good - still holding in baby blankets that have been laundered a hundred times.

I took up quilting again about four year ago and I did the FMQ on my 401 - before I knew that it wasn't ideally suited for that kind of work.

I had a lot of skipped stitches and eyelashes, but I did learn how to move so that those were minimized. That's when I added a 15-91 to my small "herd" of machines. Huge difference! :)

But the 401 will be okay. Avoid those stacked up intersections and when you're drawing a loop or circle, sew slowly to avoide eyelashing. When you come to the point of an angle, pause at the point for a couple of stitches and then go up the other side of the angle.

My first quilts were flannel and some of the seam allowances were terribly skinny, so I sewed lines of decorative satin stitches in bright colors on every long seam. Like stitching in the ditch, but trying to keep it visible instead of making it as invisible as possible.

Have fun with your 401 and get to know her eccentricities and she'll do a good job for you. :)