Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ spirals. >

FMQ spirals.

FMQ spirals.

Old 02-21-2016, 07:20 PM

build that muscle memory by doodling them over and over. And one tip so that they don't all line up in straight rows is to change the direction of the initial loop every so often---it;s ok to have a mix of spiral in/spiral out when they are close together as a background filler. And on some things like sashings the alternating of them allows you to move along the sashing.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:23 PM

I took an iQuilt class where the teacher said to at least draw out the first row of spirals so your muscles can memorize the movement. Don't worry about hitting the line exactly; it's just to give you a visual cue for spacing. Also, you need to consider whether you want a rounded center or a pointy center. For the spiky center, it can help to stop your machine at the point before spiraling out. You need to hesitate at the point for a second anyways so a full stop is not a huge deal. For the rounded center, I try not to stop until I've finished the spiral.

Also -- one tip for hiding imperfections is to add a small spike between the loops and alternate whether you start at the top or bottom. That way everything doesn't have to line up so perfectly and it still looks good.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:53 PM
Power Poster

I have been practicing swirls (spirals) with pen on paper. I JUST attempted my first row of spirals on a table topper. I decided to just go for it with a simple swirl. I didn't make it complicated. Just a simple swirl (in and out) and straight into the next. Are they the same size? NO. Are they even? Not yet. BUT I did it and I am OK with my imperfection and as I got to the 4th turn, the swirls got more even and more the same size. It takes practice.

My suggestion: Test it on a reasonably busy print.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:30 AM

I feel like I really missed the boat, paying attention in school. I should've spent more time doodling!!!
Old 02-22-2016, 06:51 AM
RST

For many people, doodling is not incompatible with paying attention. I actually focus very keenly on auditory input while doodling, more than I would if simply sitting there and looking around.

I was just doing a quilt with a lot of spiraling last night. One thing I noticed helps is to have a couple of other mini-motifs that you work in throughout the quilt to save you from awkward spots or blank areas. For me, often that will be a little paisley, or a smaller version of the spiral, or a heart -- whatever. As long as you repeat it randomly around your quilt a few times, it looks intentional.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

I would check out u-tubes and it does take some practice.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:48 AM

I'm still learning...love watching he Craftsy instructors. One thing I came up with is to get a notebook page protector and some fine point erasable markers - insert a printed page of spirals, feathers, etc into the pocket of the protector and trace...trace...trace. You just erase and start over for as long as you want. Good luck.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:49 AM

Yes, doodling is the answer. I practice on paper, dry erase board, Plexiglass, chalk board... whatever is available at the time. The key is to develop the skill to 'see' where you need to go next when you come out of a spiral.

I was recently trying to work out a cabled feather that I had in my head. (Two feathers intertwining like a cable.) I probably filled 20 sheets of paper trying to work it out before I was ready to try it on my plexiglass over the practice table runner. Once I'd done it on the plexiglass how I liked it, I transferred reference lines onto a scrap practice piece and finally did the practice runner. This week, I'll be transferring the reference lines onto the real queen sized quilt and finally get quilting.

Quilting, even FMQ takes a lot of planning and practice. Stick with it and it will become second nature.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:06 AM

Practice, practice, practice. And tell yourself that you can do it
Old 02-23-2016, 11:58 AM

The advice you have received is all good. You MUST develop muscle memory, hence the necessary doodling both in fabric and on paper. It takes hours, not all at once, to develop smoothness and confidence. Keep working on it.