Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ and steady speed >

FMQ and steady speed

FMQ and steady speed

Old 06-22-2010, 10:37 AM

I use the stop/start button on my machine to do FMQ. Took a short bit of practice to hit the button on one try without looking but then went smoothly. Good reminder/tip! Thanks.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Originally Posted by sewcrafty
When I got my machine this is how I played with it. I was wondering though (on practice it didn't matter). When doing your FMQ w/o the foot have you had any problems with stopping the machine and not making a mess of things? Guess you can tell I'm scared of this!!!
It is at such a speed that I can just hit the button and I already have the needle in the needle down position so I don't lose my place.
DUH!! I'm just having one of those days today! This isn't the first here's your sign I've done today!!!! :oops: :lol: :lol: I guess I should have drank more coffee before I started this morning! :roll:
Old 06-22-2010, 12:36 PM

Mine does not have that capability, but my mom's does. She lost her foot pedal over a year ago, and doesn't even miss it. Not having my foot would drive me nuts.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Banned

u are correct about too much quilting. it is my opinion that some quilted totally ignore the role of quilting design on the patchwork or applique. It is unfortunate because too often the quilting doesn't do anything for the overall look of the quilt.
I think the original maker of the quilt should set some limits. those heavily quilted don't always make the cut in the eyes of the public or judges.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:58 PM

Halleluja! I finally found someone who agrees with me and I am glad that i am not a lone voice crying in the wilderness. I have even emailed the editors of the quilting magazines, but of course, I never hear anything from anyone. I sometimes think that some long arm quilters go nuts when they see a large surface and have that compulsion to fill every square inch. There are some lovely restrained quilts, but far too many go overboard. Sometimes the pattern canot even be seen due to the crazy fabric and then the maniacal quilting. Thank for responding.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:19 AM
Google Goddess

cool, thanks for sharing,
Old 06-25-2010, 01:19 AM
Google Goddess

what type of machine do you have?

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Was doing some stippling last night and was thinking how many of us starting out have trouble with the 'constant speed' issue. My machine has the capability of, if I remove the plug for the foot pedal from the side of my machine, that I can push the stop/start button and it will automatically begin. I set the speed bar to a comfortable setting for me, and let her rip! I could then concentrate on where I was stippling without having to worry about speed. I was able to start and stop without too much trouble. One of those 'just by accident' discoveries!
Old 06-25-2010, 05:08 PM

Wow, am I glad I read this post! In the middle of free motion myself and I will try this for sure.