FMQ

Old 09-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

My freehand is completely freehand. No pantos, no marking--just me.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
My freehand is completely freehand. No pantos, no marking--just me.
I'm envious!!! My freehand looks like I borrowed someone else's hand!!! :shock:
Old 09-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

When I started FMQ I bought a stippling stencil and marked my top. It helped me get the feel of what I was doing. I used it for quite a while before I tried freehand. Worked great for me.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:06 PM

I feel more comfortable just freehanding it. I'm getting better but still have a lot of practicing to do before I will feel like I am anywhere near good.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:35 PM

I don't usually draw on the fabric, I'm really bad at trying to follow the lines, I even took a class to learn how and continued to be really bad at it, so I just meander around creating my own squiggles and lines.

I buy prequilted fabric when I see it in the remnant bins and practice on it.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:44 PM

I'm just learning. Did crosshatch used painters tape. Was great!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:11 PM

this is an interesting tip. do you sew through the plastic sheet? how many sheets of plastic do you need to complete a lap size quilt?

Originally Posted by San Diego Quilter
I love to piece, but used to agonize over how to actually quilt.....where to put the lines, what design to use, etc.

After reading a post from a long arm quilter (thank you to whoever you are!)....I went to Home Depot and purchased a 18 x 18 sheet of light weight clear plastic.....(bind the edges with thin line of blue painters tape so that you don't mark your quilt top by mistake)... Lay this over your quilt and and use a thin line whiteboard marker to try out quilting lines. OMG...this was the best thing since sliced bread!!!

I have since googled "continuous line" quilting pattern, templates, etc. for ideas... If it is intricate, I blow it up on the copier, place it under my plastic.....trace...and then lay it over my quilt.

Have fun with it!!!!

Linda
Old 09-26-2011, 10:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Havplenty
this is an interesting tip. do you sew through the plastic sheet? how many sheets of plastic do you need to complete a lap size quilt?

I love to piece, but used to agonize over how to actually quilt.....where to put the lines, what design to use, etc.

After reading a post from a long arm quilter (thank you to whoever you are!)....I went to Home Depot and purchased a 18 x 18 sheet of light weight clear plastic.....(bind the edges with thin line of blue painters tape so that you don't mark your quilt top by mistake)... Lay this over your quilt and and use a thin line whiteboard marker to try out quilting lines. OMG...this was the best thing since sliced bread!!!

I have since googled "continuous line" quilting pattern, templates, etc. for ideas... If it is intricate, I blow it up on the copier, place it under my plastic.....trace...and then lay it over my quilt.

Have fun with it!!!!

Linda
If I understand correctly, it is a way to test out what a pattern would like on the quilt. You don't actually use it to do the quilting.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:32 AM
Power Poster

It takes lots and lots of practice
Old 09-27-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by Havplenty

Have fun with it!!!!

Linda
If I understand correctly, it is a way to test out what a pattern would like on the quilt. You don't actually use it to do the quilting.

Correct - it is a thin(ish) sheet of clear plexi-glass - just meant to audition quilt lines. Lay it over your quilt top and try out ideas by drawing the quilting lines with a fine tipped dry erase marker. If you don't like what you've drawn, simply wipe away the lines with a damp cloth. HINT....remove the plastic from your quilt before you wipe it. I did not the first time and got smudges of dry erase marker on my fabric. :(