Fmq

Old 08-27-2014, 07:26 PM

Default Fmq

I don't know if its all my craftsy classes or something just clicked, for the first time last week I was able to stitch a design from a stencil and have it actually look like its supposed to. My stitching looked good and I wasn't even using a regulator or any of my special gloves or slippery surface, so it makes me wonder if that is normal after tons of awful looking samples with uneven stitching over the past several years, and no success. Does this happen to anyone else. Makes me think there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I have lots of tops and only 2 quilts that were LAQ that were finished so hoping to get somewhat decent where I am comfortable to do my own without feeling I am gonna mess them up. LAQ is just too expensive for me and I can't afford it

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-28-2014 at 02:39 AM. Reason: language
Old 08-27-2014, 07:44 PM

Congratulations!! In numerous posts "the word" is PRACTICE, PRACTICE PRACTICE! Seems like it worked for you!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:46 PM

Unhappy

Yay! If you are practicing while watching the classes it must be paying off. Good for you! I tend to watch the classes and then not practice.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:58 PM

Yay! Mine has been getting better and easier too. It must be all that practice!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 08-27-2014, 10:44 PM

It's true practise makes perfect.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:49 PM

I had the same experience...all of a sudden it just seemed to come together for no apparent reason! The truth is ..it came together because you persisted, well done!
Old 08-27-2014, 11:55 PM

I've taken a couple of fmq classes on Craftsy and then practiced what I learned. Then for some reason I got 'brave' and fmq'd a baby quilt with seashells, starfish, fish and suns to go with the paper pieced boats and lighthouse in the quilt (Mom wanted a nautical themed room for her little boy). you could actually tell what each shape was! I was so happy and Mom loved the quilt! so yes, I think the light just clicks on and the practice really does pay off!
Old 08-28-2014, 01:33 AM

I think it does just click after a bit of practice. Like when all of a sudden, the backside looks as good as the front! Enough so that you are even confident to flip it over and quilt around the design on the back as your quilting design. I still have uneven stitches now and then, but overall it's definitely more consistent than it used to be.

The things that helped me build confidence:
* Thread that matched the top/backing rather than contrasting thread
* Master a couple of designs before moving on to others (loops/stars were the easiest at first - meandering and being able to follow a line took a lot longer!)
* Practice before every quilt
* Sally Terry's book "Hooked on Feathers"...great starter method if you always dreamed of doing your own feathers. Awesome confidence builder. I am not afraid to try anything now!
Old 08-28-2014, 01:35 AM
Power Poster

It is just like any other skills such as riding a bike or cooking (which I am STILL awful at). Practice does make perfect. Now, get going on all the quilting you have waiting to be quilted!!
Old 08-28-2014, 04:16 AM

I can totally relate. I watched a few utube videos that really helped me with technique and the quilt I FMQ after that seemed so much better. But, I guess I need to watch those videos again because the quilt I'm working on right now doesn't seem as easy as the last one. It's a process.... learning all the tricks.