Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: FMQ

Being a newbie to quilting I'm just wondering if there's an easy way to fmq like using a pattern or do you guys just use the sewing maching and do your own thing? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries
    There are so many answers to this question. I'm just learning and kinda do my own thing.

There are great books out there with all kinds of patterns. There are also places on Google and Youtube that will give you free patterns and advice. My advice, as a relatively new FMQer is to start by doing your own thing. Loosen up and just let it go. Start with large loops, that was the easiest for me at first. Quilting gloves help a lot. Don't give up! It takes some of us longer than others. (In my case a lot longer!)

I used templates and stencils when I started FMQ, and sometimes still do, but next to sewing on binding, marking is my least favorite part of quilting. But I think it helped me in the beginning to have lines to follow. Although it certainly has its place and I do it occasionally, I'm not a big fan of meandering -- to quote Joanne Worley (sp?), it's booorrring.

I started with the stippling pattern which is very easy, now I do my own thing or incorporate a pattern from the fabric I am working with.

When I started I used a pounce pad and stencils. It helped me get the feel of it.