Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ Table >

FMQ Table

FMQ Table

Old 09-13-2013, 09:01 PM

Default FMQ Table

I came across a video that demonstrated a gliding platform that fit over the bed of your DSM. It allowed you to more easily move the quilt for FMQ. It could also be used with a stitch regulator (I think it was a Quilter's Cruise Control). I can't remember what it was called. It is not something like the Supreme Slider, rather it is a platform that moves on rollers with the quilt on top of it. I remember reading a discussion on this board about them but since I can't remember the name of it, I can't do a search can you help me remember what it is called? Also, any advice from those who may have used one..
Old 09-13-2013, 09:53 PM

Is it the Fab-U-Motion? I have one that sits in a box unused. I was never able to get it to work for me. Maybe I didn't stick with it long enough. Regular FMQ was easier for me, although I still consider myself a beginner.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:37 AM

It seems like John Flynn (I think that is his name) has (and sells) something like this. Maybe if you looked up a web-site for him? Yes, try www.flynnquilt.com - it may be what you're thinking of.

Last edited by Grandma Bonnie; 09-14-2013 at 04:42 AM. Reason: added web address
Old 09-14-2013, 04:57 AM

I have been interested in a frame called the PQ3000. It can be found on quiltersexpress.com. But I haven't been able to find any first hand info from users. It is a new product and I think just produced on a small scale locally. If it works as shown, it would be great for someone who doesn't have the space or money for a long arm. And I do have a DSM with a decent size harp space, 11". The machine is set on a platform. Does anyone out there know anything about this product?
Pat
Old 09-14-2013, 06:14 AM

Husqvarna Viking makes something like this but I don't know the name of it.<o></o>
Old 09-14-2013, 06:21 AM

I think it is called fabumotion or the Fabric Mover either way never tried it and I think the area on it was limited on it
Old 09-14-2013, 10:04 AM

It looks like what I was thinking about is the Fab-u-Motion, Fabric Mover or Free Motion Assistant (I think they may be the same thing). I'm not sure if it will work for me. The small work space sounds limiting although it comes in a larger 12"x12" size. The Flynn Frame (which slides on plastic tubes) would be an alternative and would eliminate basting. The PQ 3000 makes your DSM a "mini longarm". Thanks for the answers everyone.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:42 AM

The Pq3000 looks like Ken Lund's one but his is cheaper.
http://machine-quilt-frames.blogspot.com/
Old 09-14-2013, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Joyce29 View Post
It looks like what I was thinking about is the Fab-u-Motion, Fabric Mover or Free Motion Assistant (I think they may be the same thing). I'm not sure if it will work for me. The small work space sounds limiting although it comes in a larger 12"x12" size. The Flynn Frame (which slides on plastic tubes) would be an alternative and would eliminate basting. The PQ 3000 makes your DSM a "mini longarm". Thanks for the answers everyone.
The limited work space was what I found difficult. I also had a Flynn Frame but never even took it out of the box to try it. It seemed like I'd need lots of space for the plastic tubes in order to accommodate the larger quilts I wanted to do. Some have used the Fab U Motion and/or the Flynn Frame with good results. What works for some doesn't work for others.