Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: FMQ thread

Blog Entries

FMQ thread

I do fmq on my Bernia and do a fairly good job. The front looks good but the back looks as if it has bigger stitches. Is it a tension problem?

Power Poster
    Ideally the stitch connects inside the sandwich when the tension is balanced. Is the top thread bring pulled to the back? If so you will need to either tighten the top tension or loosen the bobbin tension. Take a picture of the settings before you change them so you can return them to the pevious settings when done quilting.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by schoolteacher View Post
    I do fmq on my Bernia and do a fairly good job. The front looks good but the back looks as if it has bigger stitches. Is it a tension problem?
    I have a Bernina 830 and I have to put the tension very low to keep the bottom thread down and the stitches uniform on front and back. Before I start FMQing I do a test sandwich with the thread I will be using to fine tune the tension.
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

Good question. I never understand tension either. I just do trial and error until I get it to look right. Great idea Tartan to take a pic. I wouldn't have thought of that, but I will employ that suggestion myself! Thanks.