Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ-For what it' worth. >

FMQ-For what it' worth.

FMQ-For what it' worth.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:28 AM

I have two small wallhangings in progress - one is a very detailed Laurel Burch (sp?) and the other is a landscape fabric that I added an appliqued,thread-painted coyote onto. I'm free motion quilting the lines of the plants and animals of the fabrics to get enough practice in controlling the speed and direction of the needle with different movements. I figure once I've done these, I'll be able to track just about any design/template plan I make. Not perfect by any means, but I like the fabrics so much, I enjoy outlining them! I had a very skilled quilter critique what I've done so far and learned a few things (some are to start in the center rather than wherever I want for my outlines) and to incorporate some trapunto into the project (yikes!). For my purposes right now, I don't want to overextend my challenge : ) so I won't 'undo' the stitching that's not begun from the center out. I love having so much detail that no one can critique whether the thread lines are exact.
One thing I found useful rather than wearing gloves is to put a little SortKwik Fingertip Moistener on my fingers (buy it at an office supply store). It works and hasn't left any marks on the fabrics so far.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:58 AM

This is one of the most uplifting threads! I make quilts mostly for my family (including extended) and I make them for love. Money and top grade or "in" things have never been the goal of any of us, but love, support, getting together, etc., is really important. My quilts are made for love and love isn't (to us) spending money for someone to make our love gift "perfect". Even the quilts that go to hospitals or shelters or raffles have that same love quilted into the gift. I could save money by giving them money right off the bat, but where's the love in that? "Every stitch a prayer" was put on every baby blanket. (I forgot it once and it was given back to me to put those 4 words on!)
Old 03-25-2013, 08:15 AM

I am so overwhelmed at the response to my thread. I did this to encourage all of you who are afraid of FMQing and I have been encouraged also. Think I just might post my Bargello after itis finished after all. I was afraid to do a Bargello, but after the push and kicks in the pants I got from all of you, I finished piecing it without having to use Jack the Ripper once. It went together so well. One thing learned, if you need pushing to jump into anything you are not confident with, just post to this wonderful board. I guarantee you will have all the support you need. Guess you can tell I LOVE this board.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
Good for you! I did the same, except I wanted just single designs that fit on one block instead of all over. No one does many of these - they seem more into a continuous design like stippling. I was doing a raggy, and the fabric was the showpiece so minimum quilting did it. I have old books with these single designs in them.

What good info! What old books or magazines would you suggest I look for for this?
TIA.
~Skeetersmom
Old 03-25-2013, 08:29 AM

I plan to try it myself when the mood next hits me. I have a few quilt tops that I want to be quilted. I'll start with a smaller once first. I need to jump right in too!!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:34 AM

I agree, go for it. I have been practicing and took the plunge. It is not perfect but it is sew much fun, and it is my work. I will get better, and when my projects are given to someone they haven;t any idea that it's not perfect.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 PM

Nstitches4u I know that feeling! I'm still making crap but its becoming better crap now. Are those ragdoll cats in your avatar? I have one that will be 18 in June.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats View Post
I am thinking of taking the plunge and practice on smaller quilts.
To practice FMQ I've done a couple sets of place mats...UGLY...but once they are washed and get wrinkly-antiquey looking, everyone loves them, including me!

The Craftsy FMQ class I took was great, and I've gone ahead and quilted a baby quilt for a friend's baby shower. It was a slightly wonky quilt, and the FMQ matches that...LOL...but it's so much fun!

Last week I made a hot pad and was surprised to find that I like the back, which is just a single piece of plain fabric, as much as the front. I think my FMQ is getting better.

So my advice...Just Do It.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:08 PM

I bought a few quilt tops (huge king size) a few years back for $10.00 a piece. I put one on the long arm and after a day of procrastination I finally jumped in. My advise is to use thread that blends so your booboos don't stand out like a sore thumb!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Wooki View Post
I bought a few quilt tops (huge king size) a few years back for $10.00 a piece. I put one on the long arm and after a day of procrastination I finally jumped in. My advise is to use thread that blends so your booboos don't stand out like a sore thumb!
Good for you.