Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ'ing >

FMQ'ing

FMQ'ing

Old 02-03-2015, 04:28 AM

Default FMQ'ing

When I fmq the top thread looks like it should but the bottom thread doesn't look "normal". The bottom thread looks as if the stitches are longer. I am using a Bernina with the BSR. Is it a tension problem? I have moved the tension but it still doesn't look like it should. Suggestions?
Old 02-03-2015, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

Ideally you should not be able to see where the 2 threads connect, that should be in the sandwich. If the bobbin thread is just laying along the back then you need to adjust your tension. My Bernina likes the top tension at about 5-1/2 to 6 for FMQing and I adjust my bobbin tension. If your bobbin thread is just laying on the back then you need to either tighten your top tension or loosen your bobbin tension. Take a picture or make a note of your bobbin screw before adjusting it. Turn it in tiny bits until you get a balanced stitch and then turn it back for regular sewing.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like a tension issue, but are you sure it's the bobbin thread that doesn't look normal? Usually if there's a problem on the back it's the top thread, and if the issue is on the top, it's the bobbin. I would rethread, using different colors in the top & bobbin sew a bit on a practice sandwich. this way you can pinpoint which thread is causing problems. If you can't resolve it, post a picture so we can get a better idea.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
....Take a picture or make a note of your bobbin screw before adjusting it. Turn it in tiny bits until you get a balanced stitch and then turn it back for regular sewing.
This is why I have two bobbin cases... one for adjusting, and the other remains at the factory setting. My dealer was kind enough to give me the second one for free
Old 02-03-2015, 07:12 AM

Some days the machine is just not happy! S.A.D.?
I totally rethread and start over. I only adjust the top tension whether I'm using my Jenome or my Juki.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
Some days the machine is just not happy! S.A.D.?
I totally rethread and start over. I only adjust the top tension whether I'm using my Jenome or my Juki.
Likewise for me, MaryK!

I totally "get it" that when the variables differ, the settings my need to change. However, what really "gets me" is when I am working on the exact same project, and have only stopped for overnight, or even for lunch or WHY ..... why sometimes the settings need to change. Now someone, please explain to me, just how and why that happens?

And while I am pondering the imponderables, maybe those that do .... can explain why the need for change cannot all be done via the top tension.

Please? and Thank you!