Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMS how do you regulate stitch >

FMS how do you regulate stitch

FMS how do you regulate stitch

Old 07-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

yep, the stitch length is controlled on your movement of the quilt. fast foot pedal speed and slower hand movement. too fast and you get longer stitches. too slow and they get very tight.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by lucylockett
I appreciate your responses. So, am I right in thinking sewing machines don't come with a stitch regulator (once the feed dogs are dropped)--??? It isn't just the Janome???

I'm using the clear darning foot and it hops up and down with each stitch. In your FMQ, does this sound right ??? Kerplunk - kerplunk, kerplunk kerplunk kerpluk . . . . . kerplunk
I use the clear darning foot too - for me, its not the best - I can't always see where I'm going if I go backwards.

I don't think mine goes kerplunk....at least if it does, it doesn't bother me. Do you put your lever down before starting?

Also, always make sure that your needle starts in the down position so if you stop, you can me sure that the fabric doesn't move.

It has taken me lots of practice but I love practicing. I practiced on a block I made, then I practiced on my Bow Tucks bag I made. I absolutely LOVE it - I do find that I have to relax, breathe, not hunch over the machine, loosen my shoulders, breathe, relax, sit back, not hunch, breathe......and I use my little gloves with the nubbies. Its really fun! :lol: Remember, its all in what YOU want from it. I have a long way to go, but I'm getting good at swirlies and curly cues. ;)
Old 07-05-2010, 06:31 PM

It takes lots of practice, practice, and more practice. You didn't learn how to write overnight, neither will you be able to do wonderful machine quilting overnight. It's keeping the speed of the machine consistant with the movement of your hand. Do you use a watersoluable lotion or the machiniger gloves? Either will help you move the quilt more easily. I have read that the big name quilters practice some everyday to get to their level of machine quilting, so don't give up or be too hard on yourself. Make a small quilt sandwich and have it by your machine to practice on for a few minuites every time you sew. You'll be surprised at the improvement. :thumbup:
Old 07-06-2010, 02:08 AM

I appreciate your responses. So, am I right in thinking sewing machines don't come with a stitch regulator (once the feed dogs are dropped)--??? It isn't just the Janome???

I'm using the clear darning foot and it hops up and down with each stitch. In your FMQ, does this sound right ??? Kerplunk - kerplunk, kerplunk kerplunk kerpluk . . . . . kerplunk
the kerplunk,is what i get when i use the "big foot"..and you may be going to slow when it does that.
if really is a practice thing..i have the 6600.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:21 AM

I have the 6600 and love it. FMQ takes practice. I am getting better but a long way from where I want to be.
I do use the speed control. More to the middle and just try to mantaine the same hand movement. I do fine the gloves or fingers work best to move the material.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:33 AM

You just need to find out what your speed is. Just having the machine go faster doesn't regulate your stitches. Your hands and "feet" have to find a rhythm. I found that when I first started when I did curves, the rounded parts were not very uniform. Also, if you have a speed control on your machine, try that then you don't have to worry about your foot once you find the right speed.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:53 AM

Yep!
Old 07-06-2010, 09:43 AM

Practice! Practice! Practice!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:27 PM

don't clench. stay loose.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Dkm

I love your avatar. I made one for my granddaughter and put 25 hours into beading the dress. Found it last week rolled up in a knot on the floor. No one knows the time spent in projects.