Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
any other with FMS? >

any other with FMS?

any other with FMS?

Old 08-27-2009, 08:34 AM

Any of you dealing with the struggles of fibromyalgia while quilting, not to speak of life in general? I do some FMQ and just cannot continue dragging the weight of the fabric around. I want to buy a sewing table that will allow me to move my machine around for the quilting process, anything that has worked well for anyone with FMS or other muscle challenges?
I am happily married, have 3 children, 7 grands and 1 great-grand. Also blessed with two wonderful twin sisters who also have fibro, so there is someone who knows what I mean when I say it is a "bad" day.
I really enjoy this forum, how lovely that we can help each other out with suggestions and praise!
Old 08-27-2009, 08:55 AM

Hello lynnfaye!

I have fibromyalgia and lupus too. There are a few of us on here who suffer like you do--so I guess, misery loves company...

I love to quilt and sew, but I also need to listen to my body--sometimes it just screams--and when that happens, I have to let everything wait until I feel better.

Hopefully those of us with this malady can share tips and tricks we've learned along the way, so that we can enjoy our craft more fully.

Right now I'm in a bit of a "fibro-fog"--those of us who suffer from it will know what I'm talking about--but when I feel better, I know I will be able to come up with ideas of how I handle my diseases and still quilt. One thing I can share right now is to only do at one time what you know your body can handle--don't push past what you are comfortable doing. If you do, you will pay later! One of the things that I use to gauge how I'm doing is, if I start making mistakes over and over again, I know it is time to stop.

Welcome to the board--and I hope today is a good day for you!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:06 AM

*Waves from Iowa* :)
Old 08-27-2009, 10:05 AM

My husband says I don't even snore so I figured I don't have apnea, major insomnia though. I am happy for your activity level, sounds great, Loretta.
You are so right Nellebelles, on days when I am dropping or knocking over most things I come close to, I don't drive or try new quilting designs etc.
Was an RN before fibro and 2 knee replacements made that an unwise career.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:42 PM

I haven't been tested for sleep apnea either. I don't seem to have the risk factors for it--I don't snore very often, I don't have a thick neck, etc. However, I will ask my doctor about it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Lynnefaye--I have found that the easiest way for me to be able to quilt is to work for a short amount of time and also to invest in the best tools you can afford that will make it easier on your joints and muscles. I have a sewing machine that has an automatic needle threader, and has an automatic presser foot drop, as well as needle up/down. I have very sharp scissors so my hands don't have to work harder than necessary to cut anything. I use my rotary cutter as much as possible instead of scissors, etc.

Anyone else have ideas they can share with those of us who have limited motion or trouble with pain due to fibromyalgia, arthritis, etc? I think I can speak for Lynnefaye, and for sure for myself, that any ideas would be greatly appreciated! :-)
Old 08-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Nellebelles, invest in all the gadgets you can afford that will make life easier. I use Fiskars clipping type scissors (both small and large) where I can. I also have a table for my machine to sit in, plus a wide shelf behind it, and another to my left to take as much weight as possible. Rest when you need to, and make use of 'up' time when you can. If you haven't been tested for Sleep Apnea, ask your doc, as I have both too, and so do several others. I am lucky, I seem to be able to control a fair amount of pain with meds, but I don't know how long I will be able to do that. I just take one day at a time. At least I have a great hobby that I can continue to do. Good job we can sit down and QUILT, Hurrah!
Old 08-28-2009, 01:21 AM

Hi from Massachusetts, and welcome.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:41 AM

I have fibromyalgia and sleep apnea also, central sleep apnea, I don't snore, I just stop breathing. The Doctors have related my fibro to sleep apnea. Once I got my breathing machine, I didn't hurt quite as much (although I take medicine too). Quilting is in itself a therapy. Quilt as much as you are able, just so you don't hurt to do it. Good luck to you, it's worth checking out anyway.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:08 AM

Guess I had better plan to ask doc about the apnea, always looking for better health. I have been eating gluten free since January, it helped with muscle pain. Then was diagnosed with cancer and had a total hysterectomy in Feb. Has taken most of these last 6 months to get back to the point I was before surgery. Didn't take any further treatment and am staying gluten free. Now, if I convince my craving body that I should try to be sugar free!!

Thanks for the suggestions, lets keep sharing and one or more of us might find some real relief. I just praise God each morning and do the best I can for that day.
One small help for FMQ, I put a yard long piece of 4mm clear vinyl on my machine sewing surface, just let it hang loose and cut a hole big enough for the needle area. Helps some with sliding the fabric on that surface. I am now trying a "Divide and Conquer" quilt, smaller units being quilted, then put together. The theory looks good in the book and should be less stressful on the body.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:51 AM

Lynnefaye, you've been through so much lately. I certainly wish you, and others that suffer like you do, the best. Glad that you have a hobby that you enjoy too. My sister has sleep apnea and it is a very serious, sometimes deadly, condition. So please get checked if you suspect it at all. She was lucky to have surgery last year and no longer has to use the machine.