Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Folded wreath question >

Folded wreath question

Folded wreath question

Old 03-21-2016, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

I think you did a great job. There have been other posts about the difficultly of the written instructions. We as quilters should always try to learn from our mistakes. We ARE going to make them at some point.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:55 AM

That is really very nice. But it is huge. I was going to make one for my mother in law but that would take up her whole counter.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:26 AM

I have made several of these at regular size. Since it calls for 7 inch squares and 5 inch appliques. You could make a couple of sample blocks using 6 inch square or smaller even just to see if it would work. It would be easy to cut everything smaller accordingly. You probably would not need as many squares to form a wreath either. The applique is the little square that is fused in the middle. If you found a size that you liked, you could make your blocks as you go and sew them together until you got the amount you liked.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:07 AM

Has anyone a like to a video tute for this pattern. I can't follow written instructions at all but would love to make this if there's a video showing how.

I love you project by the way.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:38 AM

There was a post a few days ago with a link to a video. It's not quite the same but should work for you. I can't get the link to copy. Search utube for Orgami Candle Mat by Fiery Phoenix.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:48 AM

Mistakes !! I think not.........looks great to me. Your mom is going to love & cherish it.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:04 AM

I used just iron on interfacing. It wasn't the thick kind and I have had it so long I don't have a name for it. I think a thicker would hold it up better but be very hard to work with. There are a lot of thickness there to work with.
Lynda

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
What did you use as stiffener please? Yours looks fantastic love the decorative stitches.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:06 AM

I was hoping someone else had tried a smaller version but I am just going to have to experiment and see what I can come up with. I wish there had been measurements for the one with 9 points because I keep thinking it had to have fewer points to use smaller squares.
Lynda

Originally Posted by Golfergal View Post
I have made several of these at regular size. Since it calls for 7 inch squares and 5 inch appliques. You could make a couple of sample blocks using 6 inch square or smaller even just to see if it would work. It would be easy to cut everything smaller accordingly. You probably would not need as many squares to form a wreath either. The applique is the little square that is fused in the middle. If you found a size that you liked, you could make your blocks as you go and sew them together until you got the amount you liked.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:32 AM

I have the pattern and I was wondering if this is hard to make mary
Old 03-22-2016, 08:14 AM

I make 3 versions - all have 12 squares. The largest is 6 1/2" finished squares and the smallest is 4 1/2" finished. The smallest have the centers almost touching. I found my favorite is the medium size one with a 5 1/2" finished square. This has a center space just the right size for inserting a candle or a small bowl full of treats. I also make them both with frames and without. This depends on the fabric choice. If I am not going to 'stuff' the petals, then I put some sort of embellishment over the hand tacked spot (found little firecracker buttons for the 4th of July one!). But, I leave it plain if I am 'stuffing' the petals (easter eggs on the easter one and I little mummies and ghosts for the halloween one). The medium one can be made for under $6 (without embellishments) so it is a great item for a bazaar sale (sell from between $20 and $23). When you get comfortable with making them, you can do one in about an hour - selecting the fabric and cutting it takes the most time!