Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Folding, folding, folding fabric... >

Folding, folding, folding fabric...

Folding, folding, folding fabric...

Old 02-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

All the ways you do/did it - and some are just stacked because I don't have any more shelf space.

The up side to the stacked fabrics - I get some (a lot of) exercise when I go excavating.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:38 AM

I have shelf's for orientals, jungle, birds and butterflies, kids, marine, flowers, holidays, batiks, solids, stripes, novelties, scraps from past projects, 2 shelf's for blenders sorted by color, a shelf for things I am working on now.
And 1 shelf of large pieces I bought for one block wonders. a cd cabinet for fat quarters.
I think it depends on how you look for things tho. Good Luck with that Sue
Old 02-26-2013, 02:04 PM

Thanks for all your responses! Going to post a pic in "mission organization now.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:10 PM

Arg - don't know how to post pics from iphone. Will try later from computer
Old 02-26-2013, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by AndysC View Post
Oh - forgot - what about fabrics that are same pattern in a variety of colors - do you keep them together or separate by color Thanksk to anyone who can help!!
I separate my fabrics by color, my batiks are kept separate from the other fat quarters. I also keep fabrics separated by project such as my patriotic fabrics for Quilts of Valor, holiday fabrics a kept together. Anything over a fat quarter I keep sparated by size. Sorry if this made it more confusing for you, maybe I just don't have as much fabric as I thought I did...lol Good luck with sorting.

Rosie the Wyldwytch
Old 02-26-2013, 02:42 PM

I am the odd ball of the group. Our guild had a speaker several years ago and she said you should sort by size not color. I thought she was crazy until I did it. Her reasoning was because if you are looking for 2 yards of a red fabric and you go to your stash and fall in love with one it will be 1 1/2 yards and you can't use it. I do not sort by color within size either. I find that I see more possibilities in the fabric when it is mixed. But because I sort by size I have used more of my stash. Hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaR View Post
I am the odd ball of the group. Our guild had a speaker several years ago and she said you should sort by size not color. I thought she was crazy until I did it. Her reasoning was because if you are looking for 2 yards of a red fabric and you go to your stash and fall in love with one it will be 1 1/2 yards and you can't use it. I do not sort by color within size either. I find that I see more possibilities in the fabric when it is mixed. But because I sort by size I have used more of my stash. Hope this helps.
Hmmmm, this really makes a great deal of sense. Wish I had read this thread before I just reorganized. Oh well, I will save the idea until I decide it is time to reorganize again!!

Dina
Old 02-26-2013, 03:42 PM

I use my 6x24 inch ruler to fold my fabric. A member here did a tutorial (a year or so ago) on folding her fabric that way and it works great for me. I keep my print fabric sorted into themes and the themes into colors. I don't have huge stash (working on it!) yet.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:48 PM

My organizational method is DISorganization....I have fabric all over the place, and frequently arrange and rearrange sets that I want to use together is a quilt...I like the idea of sorting by size...wonder if I can get it done? Can this old dog learn new tricks??
Old 02-26-2013, 05:09 PM

No matter how you sort it eventually it will get all mixed up. Finally sorted by yardage. I found that when the like colors weren't together it was easier to find what I wanted. Also saves time when finally finding a color and of course there isn't enough fabric in the piece.