Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Folding, folding, folding fabric... >

Folding, folding, folding fabric...

Folding, folding, folding fabric...

Old 02-27-2013, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Anniedeb View Post
Wow!! So many different ideas! Hopefully one day I'll actually have a sewing room, (instead of my dining room table), so I don't have much of a stash. I keep each current project in a separate plastic tote which I can then store/stack out of sight. My stash is then also kept in plastic totes, but all of it, stash and projects, fits into 12 totes.
My situation exactly!
Loving all the ideas and hoping one day to have a sewing room in which to implement them.
Thanks to all for you for your input!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I don't use the foam This is how my room is organized..

These are in 30 gal tubs no matter what size pieces they are:
Holiday- each holiday (xmas, 4th, halloweenie, easter, etc) have its own tub
Flannel
Vintage fabric (35in xWOF)- all goes in one tub
Authentic 30's feedsacks

All my Bolts (3+yards) are on the bookcase and in walk in closet.
All my 1-2 yards cuts are ruler folded, then separated by theme (floral, kids prints, asian, etc) and solids, blenders, and the rest are seperated by color on bookcases

Batiks are in a see thru sterilite three drawer separated by light med dark..
Fqs are separated by color, floral, novelty in it's own sections on wall cd racks, closet maid 24/36 bin shoe organizers.. Each area has its own 'theme' so i can find what I'm looking for.

My scraps are in specific see- thru bins, tubs and drawers depending on size..

Each Accuquilt Die cut shapes have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own- I do have most if not all the dies already.. lol..
strips less than10 inches but longer than 5 inches of has a a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
Strips longer than 10 inches but less than WOF has a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
2 inch strips are hanging on the back of the door
1.5 x wof has a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
2.5 x WOF strips has a a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
3x WOF strips have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
5x WOF strips have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
all other strips x WOF are separated by colors and has a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
Crumbs have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
Scraps less than a fq but larger than 6x6 has a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own- these are waiting to be cut with my Accuquilt
2 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
2.5 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
3 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
3.5 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own

4 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
4.5 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
5 in sq have a see thru sterilite drawer all of its own
And my selvages are kept in recycled plastic Ice cream tubs by length..

And that's how my room is organized..

I followed Bonnies method.. www.quiltville.com.

My 1930's fqs section- (just one of my fq sections)

here is how i store my misc scraps from my swaps I host and participate in:
Attached Thumbnails scraps-galore.jpg  
Old 02-27-2013, 08:31 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Im a scrappy quilter so my scraps are not separated by colors but by size..
Old 02-27-2013, 09:53 AM

I have a humongous stash (that means it is bigger than huge!) and one of the most useful organizational tools I have found is: When I buy a new piece with a project in mind, I put the 'kit' together with the pattern or a note of what I had in mind. This keeps me on track with my purchases. Doesn't mean I can't change my mind, just helps me know why I bought it.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:27 AM

I sort pretty much like Paper Princess. I've found a really nice way to store my faberic where I can see all the faberic, remove what I want without having to pick up faberic that is on top of the one I want to use and keep my faberic dust free. I had a clear plastic filing box with the hook kind of folders and this idea just seemed so good and easy I wondered why I hadn't though of it before. I frist cut the folders in half so I have two sides that still hang in the filing box. I fold my fabric to match the width of the hanging folder half and any lingth, then wrap the faberic around the folder half and hang it in the filing box. When it's full I set it on a shelf with the side facing out and I can see each peace, small or large. I have six now, each with a different color, I'm sure some colors will have more than one file box.
I love it...
Old 02-27-2013, 12:53 PM

It sounds like you are on the right track. Do what seems right to you as you work with your fabric.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:46 PM

Thank you to everyone for all your wonderful advice! I have done all I am going to do to my fabric for now, but keep the tips coming - I am not the only one getting great ideas for the future! You guys rock.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:58 PM

I'm so glad you will paying it forward. Good luck with organizing. I was all organized and now we are moving!! Exciting but I'll have to do the set up all over again!
Old 02-27-2013, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

I have been buying up other people's scraps and unwanted fabrics and most of it comes in all mixed together. After washing I start sorting into piles and then box most of it. I then take boxes out and start ironning and then put it in a basket and take every week some time 10 minutes to hours to sort and put away. I sort both by theme (1930, civil war, floral), size scraps, FQ, and large pieces and color. I also toss and give away at the same time.

Bonnie Hunter
http://quiltville.com/scrapusersystem.shtml

has a wonderful system. I follow some ideas but am not as good at it as she is and I add my own touches for my own purposes.

I try to keep fabrics together where I am most likely to use them else I can't find them. So fo example I am big on kids I spy quilts and have a bin with cut squares and FQ with those types of fabrics. I also have an old plastic zippered bag froma comforter that is full with I Spy type kid's prints scraps.

All 1930 type fabric is in several plastic bins and are stored on a shelf together. I might even put patterns in it that I like.

I also have a shelf with UFO. Most are a pattern , fabric for that pattern and some are partially done. I might even store a ruler in it or other items needed but I am trying to avoid that because I "lost" some of my rulers that way. It is kind of like making my own kit.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 02-27-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

Thank you Donna for posting and explaining.
I used to sort this way but now I am sorting by color and theme mostly like most seem to do.
I think you are right and I used to be more out of the box with fabrics then I am now. Interesting.

Originally Posted by DonnaR View Post
I am the odd ball of the group. Our guild had a speaker several years ago and she said you should sort by size not color. I thought she was crazy until I did it. Her reasoning was because if you are looking for 2 yards of a red fabric and you go to your stash and fall in love with one it will be 1 1/2 yards and you can't use it. I do not sort by color within size either. I find that I see more possibilities in the fabric when it is mixed. But because I sort by size I have used more of my stash. Hope this helps.