Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Foot pedal moves away (frustration) >

Foot pedal moves away (frustration)

Foot pedal moves away (frustration)

Old 04-08-2023, 09:52 AM

Default Foot pedal moves away (frustration)

This problem has been talked about before but I didn’t find the thread so I’m bringing it up again. I have a plastic shoe box between my foot pedal & the wall. It helps quite a bit but I’m looking for more ideas so please share what you do.

1). The shelf liner does not work for me. No need to go there.
2). I saw a picture of 2 wooden wedges hinged together and the foot pedal fit in it. Now I can’t find the picture.
3). Sometimes I sew on our old claw foot dining table and the foot pedal wedges against the claw. It stays in place & it’s great but I’m not sewing there all the time.
Old 04-08-2023, 10:00 AM

I have a front car mat it is heavy enough it does not move around works for me
Old 04-08-2023, 10:24 AM

I've used scrap plywood pieces between wall and foot pedal with good results. A piece about as wide as it is long will be very stable. 1/4" is plenty thick enough for most pedals. The super-thin 3mm Lauan plywood is nicer, but some pedals will ride up over a piece that thin
Old 04-08-2023, 10:28 AM

I bought a dashboard anti-slip mat. Cut it in half.
Works great on vinyl. And you can reposition, wash, etc.
It's very sticky but won't leave any residue on your fingers
or on the floor.
Old 04-08-2023, 11:00 AM

I use a silicone baking mat. Not perfect, but better than the elebenty-seben other things I've tried.
Old 04-08-2023, 12:45 PM

There are several threads about keeping the pedal from sliding away. As well as some other sites. I just saw the hinged wooden one this morning and now I can't find it. I believe those are made mainly to use the old fashioned button controllers like a gas pedal and are not made to keep it from sliding. Another one was using the kind of mats that go around a toilet that one can have the legs facing out and put the foot controller in between. One could also use an anti-fatigue mat and maybe cut out a place for the foot pedal. I believe the type of thing that EasyPeezy uses can be found at https://www.amazon.com/BLAU-GRUN-Das...TTW/ref=sr_1_3

traveling foot pedal
Foot pedal
https://missesstitches.blogspot.com/...my-son-is.html
Foot Pedal rest for sewing machine
If your table has legs one could put a piece of board across kind of like what is seen at Best Sewing Peddle Gripper

What kind of flooring do you have?

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 04-08-2023, 02:25 PM
Power Poster

Martelli makes a non slip mat for this. It is the only mat that works for me on both carpet and tile. Carpet is easy, use industrial velcro on the bottom of the foot pedal.
Old 04-08-2023, 03:04 PM

Depends on what surface I'm sewing on.
My machine lives most of the time at home with carpet. I took a piece of sticky-backed velcro, the side with the hooks, and put it on the bottom of my foot. It works great on the carpet.
When I take my machine to workshops or retreats and the flooring surface is something other than carpet, I have a chunk of Steady Betty (2 sided) that works great. It sticks to both the floor and the bottom of the pedal.
Old 04-08-2023, 04:13 PM

That new double sided tape, it's clear and thick, but it would be permanent. Or you can use industrial Velcro which sticks on, again 1 part would be permanent. If you have carpet you would only need the loop end taped under peddle
Old 04-08-2023, 07:21 PM
Power Poster

You didn't mention what type of flooring you have ... I have carpet underfoot, and never had a problem with any of the foot pedals, until I got my last machine and despite being the largest I ever had, it was all over the place. So I know how frustrating it can be.

Tried different things, and the best has been a piece of velcro on the back of the foot! Stays exactly where I want it to be!