Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
foot for the stitch in the ditch >

foot for the stitch in the ditch

foot for the stitch in the ditch

Old 04-06-2019, 11:55 AM

I've tried a walking foot specifically for SID and didn't like it at all. I also tried a foot with a seam guide (can't remember if it's the #5 or #10 for Bernina) and didn't like that either. I finally tried an open toe foot so I could actually see where the needle was going and that was perfect for me. I guess I need to see where that needle is going and be able to make minute adjustments with my finger tips. I'm happy with the results......but I'm a bit of an odd ball. I think the real trick is to keep doing it until you have the muscle memory.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:24 PM
DJ

Thankfully, I'm able to use both, as I have a Pfaff with IDT. That said, I still have problems staying in the ditch and really prefer to stitch "near" the ditch … echo quilting.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:52 AM

For my DSM I had on my old Viking Designer 1 machine a foot with a center flange to guide me. Now with the Epic I was able to get the foot with the flange for the walking foot plus still have the original foot too. Both work well depending on what you're doing. I have used both when I wanted to add a decorative stitch down the middle on something.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:05 AM

I have a stitch in the ditch foot and a walking foot and prefer using the walking foot when I stitch in the ditch. I seem to have more control with it. I think that you have to use what works best for you.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:34 AM

I have Pfaff machines and you can get a sid foot for them and they have built in walking foot.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:49 AM

If you have any experience with free motion quilting, I do all my SitD free motion...if you're like me my ditches aren't perfectly straight and I can follow it better, plus I don't have to turn the quilt all the time.

Watson
Old 04-08-2019, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by ymr View Post
Which is better for the stitch in the ditch, walking foot or stitch in the ditch presser foot?
Thanks,
i have both and I always use the stitch in the ditch walking foot as I use it most when I am sewing my bindings down and so I’m working with multiple layers, and also when I was quilting on my domestic, for doing SID to stabilize the quilt. It really helps to feed the quilt along straight and evenly. This I would do on the long straight goes, usually edge to edge.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Barb2018 View Post
I've tried a walking foot specifically for SID and didn't like it at all. I also tried a foot with a seam guide (can't remember if it's the #5 or #10 for Bernina) and didn't like that either. I finally tried an open toe foot so I could actually see where the needle was going and that was perfect for me. I guess I need to see where that needle is going and be able to make minute adjustments with my finger tips. I'm happy with the results......but I'm a bit of an odd ball. I think the real trick is to keep doing it until you have the muscle memory.
I use a walking foot with my Bernina 440 and love it. I also have an evenfeed foot with my Janome 6600 with a blade for stitch in the ditch and it works wonderful. I would not quilt without them-no bunching on the back and even stitches.