Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: foot for the stitch in the ditch

ymr

foot for the stitch in the ditch

Which is better for the stitch in the ditch, walking foot or stitch in the ditch presser foot?
    Thanks,
    Last edited by ymr; 04-05-2019 at 07:46 AM.

I have both, wish they made a stitch in the ditch foot to fit on the walking foot. I like the walking foot for the even feed of the three layers.
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work. Retired and quilting!

I have both also and I prefer the Stitch in the ditch foot for sewing the stitch in the ditch. it would be nice if the walking foot has the add-on but my walking foot is a built-in so that is that.

I have a special foot for stitch in the ditch for my Janome 6600 and like it very much.

Check with the machine dealer. There may be options for the WF.

My walking foot has additional feet. I have an open toe foot, 1/4 inch guide foot, and the SITD foot. There is another foot with a center opening but I don't use it frequently. I love using the WF with these different feet options. Plus the WF works on the Crescendo and the Dream.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ppquilter View Post
    I have both, wish they made a stitch in the ditch foot to fit on the walking foot. I like the walking foot for the even feed of the three layers.
    I do have a SITD presser foot attachment for my walking foot on my Janome 8900. I use it all the time.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

I just got a stitch in the ditch foot today and don't know how I lived without it! Really works great!

I like the stitch in the ditch foot, and use it instead of the walking foot when I do SITD quilting. I will have to check if a SITD plate is available for my walking foot; that would be wonderful!

Jordan … did you buy a special foot? Looked in the manual and at G foot but it says it is a blind hem foot.I have had my 6600 for years and know I don't take advantage of all the things it will do but I love this machine anyway

My Husq has the SID part for the walking foot. Before I got my new machine I always used the Walking foot so the backing material did not bunch up...

I've tried a walking foot specifically for SID and didn't like it at all. I also tried a foot with a seam guide (can't remember if it's the #5 or #10 for Bernina) and didn't like that either. I finally tried an open toe foot so I could actually see where the needle was going and that was perfect for me. I guess I need to see where that needle is going and be able to make minute adjustments with my finger tips. I'm happy with the results......but I'm a bit of an odd ball. I think the real trick is to keep doing it until you have the muscle memory.

DJ
    Thankfully, I'm able to use both, as I have a Pfaff with IDT. That said, I still have problems staying in the ditch and really prefer to stitch "near" the ditch … echo quilting.

For my DSM I had on my old Viking Designer 1 machine a foot with a center flange to guide me. Now with the Epic I was able to get the foot with the flange for the walking foot plus still have the original foot too. Both work well depending on what you're doing. I have used both when I wanted to add a decorative stitch down the middle on something.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I have a stitch in the ditch foot and a walking foot and prefer using the walking foot when I stitch in the ditch. I seem to have more control with it. I think that you have to use what works best for you.

I have Pfaff machines and you can get a sid foot for them and they have built in walking foot.

If you have any experience with free motion quilting, I do all my SitD free motion...if you're like me my ditches aren't perfectly straight and I can follow it better, plus I don't have to turn the quilt all the time.

Watson

Quote Originally Posted by ymr View Post
    Which is better for the stitch in the ditch, walking foot or stitch in the ditch presser foot?
    Thanks,
    i have both and I always use the stitch in the ditch walking foot as I use it most when I am sewing my bindings down and so Iím working with multiple layers, and also when I was quilting on my domestic, for doing SID to stabilize the quilt. It really helps to feed the quilt along straight and evenly. This I would do on the long straight goes, usually edge to edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Barb2018 View Post
    I've tried a walking foot specifically for SID and didn't like it at all. I also tried a foot with a seam guide (can't remember if it's the #5 or #10 for Bernina) and didn't like that either. I finally tried an open toe foot so I could actually see where the needle was going and that was perfect for me. I guess I need to see where that needle is going and be able to make minute adjustments with my finger tips. I'm happy with the results......but I'm a bit of an odd ball. I think the real trick is to keep doing it until you have the muscle memory.
    I use a walking foot with my Bernina 440 and love it. I also have an evenfeed foot with my Janome 6600 with a blade for stitch in the ditch and it works wonderful. I would not quilt without them-no bunching on the back and even stitches.