Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Found a 1957? Fw today, BUT....

If you send me your address I will make a copy of my book and send it to you
    Daryl

Last thread guide is on the left, you MUST trhead the needle going into the RIGHT side and out the LEFT. I was not only told this verbally, but have an expensive book written all about Featherweights.

Usually a new needle will do the trick if everything else is in order!

Banned
    also check to make sure the bobbin is inserted correctly. there is a little bar at the top of the bobbin ase that has to go into a slot. This happened to me at taking my FW to a class after cleaning etc. Wouldn't sew....embarassing but teacher was able to point out my error.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    hard as we tried we could not get her to sew...
    Motor ran, threaded right, loosened tension, tightened tension, and all it would do is break the thread!

This little beauty is near MINT..all original, no rubs, pin marks, etc, in a mint case with all of the attachments, no book though..price was $325!

I really want her...BUT...with not being sure what is wrong with her, I had to walk away!
    check underneath, if the bobbin case (where bobbin fits in) is just rotating round and round the needle plate was put back on wrong...it just will not sew if it is put back on wrong. check the manual, there is a picture on how to rotate under arm to fit in groove of top needle plate...check it out...

The part of the machine that accepts the bobbin case needs to be aligned. Sometimes, when cleaning out the lint, the needle plate is removed and this part will shift. You have to make sure to align it before putting the plate back on.

Are you sure you had her threaded right? She needs to be threaded from right to left to work at least that is what my manual says! Look on line to look at a threading diagram. There is also someone on this sight that might help. GOOD LUCK!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    Maybe you can get the price down since she doesn't work...but I'm not talking $35...at least $50 since you will have to take her to the Dr.
    I agree, but I think $100 less is more like it.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps the bobbin tension is too tight.

Also, check to make sure the needle is installed correctly with the flat side to the left and that there are no burrs on the tip. It has to be something very simple since these little machines are very reliable.

I'd thread from right to left and see it that will make it work. I had the same issue with my first FW and it was my threading it from left to right that caused the problem.

Very good chance with those symptoms all that what was wrong was the needle was in backwards, for Featherweights it is NFL-needle flat side left

Did you change the needle and rethread. Everyone is right about how you thread. Good luck.

If the needle is put in the wrong way,the machine will not sew.
    The FW needle goes in with the flat side to the left or right.
    I have to dig up my book to make sure.
    go back and check the needle.

Blog Entries
    on your machine. I know this sounds funny but sometimes the bobbin is not the exact one that goes in the FW. Sometimes it is just a tad to big. Try a new bobbin. Also you can call the singer company, give them your model number etc. of your machine and they can mail you a copy of the book that goes with it for a fee. Well worth it. There is really not much that can go wrong with the FW I would buy it but try to get the price down some. Hope this helps. pat

Blog Entries
    Here is a link to a FW website that you might find helpful.

http://singerfeatherweight221.blogsp...herweight.html

When I got my FW she was working fine but to be sure I brought it straight to my sewing repairman for a check up and make sure all was well with her. She was fine when I brought her home. I canít remember what I was doing wrong now, but was doing something wrong and making the thread break. It was a simple fix and sorry I can't remember what it was now. Anyway, she is working fine now with no thread breaking issues :)

Make sure the needle is in the correct way. The needle does not go in like all other machines. Trust me that happened and took it in and "DUH" to me.

check to see if it was made in England if it was the needle threads from the inside, I have one that I got from England and when I got it I could not get it to sew, so I called Graham and he ask how I was threading the needle. Needless to say that was the problem and its worked right ever since.
    Motor ran, threaded right, loosened tension, tightened tension, and all it would do is break the thread!

This little beauty is near MINT..all original, no rubs, pin marks, etc, in a mint case with all of the attachments, no book though..price was $325!

I really want her...BUT...with not being sure what is wrong with her, I had to walk away!

I'm wondering if you are using the proper size (length) needle for that machine... When I taught for Singer, we were always told that the last loop for the thread is the way the thread goes through the needle.. Could this be your problem? would love to see it... Diana O.

I had the same problem. I worked with my new baby for 2 days. Come to find out the needle was not set right, and when I got it in right, it sews light a champ.

Sharon

Such good info. One thing I was told also was to always use Singer needles. Not sure exactly why, but I am a good directions follower, so that is what I do.

Blog Entries
    There are some very good tutorials and instruction sites online. I'd probably buy it, negotiate the price since it's not working and take it home and play with it until I could get it sewing.
    One easy fix, is to clear any thread that is stuck around the bobbin case. I've seen three machines now where there was so much thread in there that I'm surprised it could move at all.
    These little machines are really easy to open up and clean, so don't let a "won't sew" slow you down. :)

You get a manual for FW by Googling. That's how I got mine. Good luck!!

If you google "Instructions for using Singer Portable Electric Sewing Machine 221-1", you can print out a manual. That's what I did. I bought a featherweight last week on ebay. Motor runs, needle goes up and down, filled bobbin, but couldn't get thread to go through top tension properly. Keep getting caught and sticking. I just packed it up today and mailed it to LostN51 on the Quilting Board to let him tune it up and make sure everything is fine. Looking forward to getting it back so I can start using it. Getting to be a little more expensive than I planned, but hopefully worth it.

Look further for a less expensive FW. They ARE available, then immediately purchase a copy of Dave McCallums FW & I book (the "fix" you do will more than cover the cost of the book/having it serviced). You can learn EVERYTHING you need to know your new baby, inside and out. It might be something as simple as a proper oil and lube or thread jam between the bobbin and throat plate! Don't give up, just go to FeatherweightRx.com. Another resource would be the Featherweight Board hosted by Graham Forsdyke. Just Google, help is at hand!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast