Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Found a 1957? Fw today, BUT....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Izaquilter
    You could take her to someone that fixes them & they are very minimal on fixing them because there is so little to repair them. Mine is doing the same thing, will sew 6" & breaks thread. Sometime within the next week I am going to take mine in to have it looked at.... I'd go back & get it for that price!!!!
    Ok, don't laugh, I'm sure you've already done this but make sure your needle is all the way in. I had that issue w/mine and the needle had slipped slightly. Of course be for I did that I changed thread, bobbin, re-threaded both but no luck. I finally decided to changed the needle making sure I pushed it all the way in and...tadah! it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    hard as we tried we could not get her to sew...
    Motor ran, threaded right, loosened tension, tightened tension, and all it would do is break the thread!

This little beauty is near MINT..all original, no rubs, pin marks, etc, in a mint case with all of the attachments, no book though..price was $325!

I really want her...BUT...with not being sure what is wrong with her, I had to walk away!
    go back & look at it again. tip machine up so you can see
    the bobbin area. check to see if the little "finger" is in the
    correct place on the throat plate. if not, loosen throat plate carefully ( usually not all the way out) lift just enough to get the "finger" in the slot. then retighten.
    how many people have paid big $$ to correct this simple thing or left a machine behind. first check for threads caught in the bobbin area. does not take much to stop
    these babies. hope this gets you a good machine !

The bobbin goes in the case so that thread comes out counter-clockwise not clockwise. I just discovered this from my repairman this week.........made a big difference. They are very simple machines.

Blog Entries
    Have you checked the bobbin case, that little finger has to be in the little slot or the machine won't work, I don't know about breaking thread. If you google troubleshoot a featherweight I think you can see some tuts that might help. The beauty of a fw is there is usually not much wrong with them.

the ismacs site has a lot of free sewing machine manuals. check it out instead of paying for expensive copies of manuals.
    they also have threading guides.

http://www.ismacs.net/free-sewing-ma...uals-list.html

Blog Entries
    Well, have you made a decision? Let us know what you decide.

Blog Entries
    Did you check the bobbin casing for lint, threads, broken needle? I have found the tiniest piece of lint can gum up the works. Was the needle shaft to the left side? Was it a new needle? Was the bobbin threaded correctly? Don't give up, with a bit of effort I'll bet it will work just fine. I took an all-day course on maintenance and repair of FW's. Best $59 I've invested in a long time. Libber

I found a Centenial edition in near mint condition and can't find anyone I know who wants her....she's only $375! Just saw it the other day and believe it's still there....northern WI...if anyone is interested I would gladly pick her up and send to you if you pay shipping also....comes with case, manual and accessories too. PM me if anyone is interested...

Motor ran, threaded right, loosened tension, tightened tension, and all it would do is break the thread!

This little beauty is near MINT..all original, no rubs, pin marks, etc, in a mint case with all of the attachments, no book though..price was $325!

I really want her...BUT...with not being sure what is wrong with her, I had to walk away!

Power Poster
    You did a smart thing.

Is the needle placed correctly? On my 1946 Model the flat side of the needle is to the left and threads from right to left.

With all the comment made I think the fix regardless of what it was would still be worth that price for such a beauty.

At that price, the machine should have been ready to go... If it had to have work, the owner should have done it before trying to sell, or reduce the price to an "as is" sale. It's probably a minor thing causing the problem, but still that price is top dollar and you should get a ready-to-sew machine or keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by roselady
    Prism99 refered to the threading direction, featherweights thread from the inside toward the outside (right to left). If you don't do it that way it will rebel.
    I have 3 featherweights. When you insert the needle, the flat side should be facing the left and you thread right to left.

I bet the little finger on the bobbin was not between the little hang down things on the stitch plate. Hope this helps.

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by kwilter

Look further for a less expensive FW. They ARE available, then immediately purchase a copy of Dave McCallums FW & I book (the "fix" you do will more than cover the cost of the book/having it serviced). You can learn EVERYTHING you need to know your new baby, inside and out. It might be something as simple as a proper oil and lube or thread jam between the bobbin and throat plate! Don't give up, just go to FeatherweightRx.com. Another resource would be the Featherweight Board hosted by Graham Forsdyke. Just Google, help is at hand!

:thumbup: :thumbup:
    My mom went to highschool with Dave's wife. I had them talking about the old days to each other over my cell phone this summer at our guild quilt show. It was a trip!

thanks for the links, with this and the guy on here with the machine shop we could all make a little money fixing FWs

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3