Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Found an Antique Frame and Need Ideas for Properly Loading Quilts >

Found an Antique Frame and Need Ideas for Properly Loading Quilts

Found an Antique Frame and Need Ideas for Properly Loading Quilts

Old 11-08-2010, 12:03 PM

When I helped my mom we just used "thumb tacks" every couple of inches on the two sides rolled to center then SHE quilted. I only helped to put on (we used the C clamps to hold the frame with quilt attached to side bars) the whole thing was positioned over 4 dining room chairs and we crawled under to get in living room. We all were very happy when a quilt was finished. I now own a long arm and use that. Her sister used a leader strip that she basted to quilt top then slipped over her rails because gave you slivers was so full of "tack" holes -her frame was originally used for drying lace curtains had mini-nails all around entire 4 pieces was a great,great grandmothers.Think thats still in moms attic.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Google Goddess

you can use the cool ladder to hang quilts on

Originally Posted by BettyGee
Originally Posted by craftybear
wow, here you had it in the garage and transporting from move to move

what else is hiding in the garage???
There are some wonderful things out there. There is an apple picking ladder from Massachusetts that is easily early 1900's, not very sturdy but it is old and beautiful. Some day we'll have to climb up in the rafters and look for other treasures.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:24 PM

Make sure your frame is square & clamp bars together. You tack the quilt on all 4 rails using thumb tacks. As you quilt, you roll up the quilt on 2 parallel bars, remove tacks from side bars, & continue quilting.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:39 PM

On our big quilt frame (which I sold and am now sorry) we had strips of ticking (or any heavy fabric) nailed to the edges. Then we used safety pins to pin those strips to the quilt. This is so you can get the edges quilted. After you roll the first time, this is covered.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Parrothead
On our big quilt frame (which I sold and am now sorry) we had strips of ticking (or any heavy fabric) nailed to the edges. Then we used safety pins to pin those strips to the quilt. This is so you can get the edges quilted. After you roll the first time, this is covered.
This is how we did it.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
I decided that I wanted to try my hand at hand quilting my latest project and remembered that I had inherited a quilt frame from my aunt in the late sixties. Sure enough there in the garage my husband found the Dritz quilt frame, two in fact plus a lap frame, that have made the trip from Illinois to Massachusetts to Colorado. He put it together, I cleaned it and lemon oiled it and it looks fantastic. How to fasten the quilt to the bars? There are multiple little tack holes in the bars so I assume that was how it was done way back. Does anyone know, other than C clamps, how to anchor the quilt without damaging the fabric? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. This just proves that being a "pack rat" can sometimes prove to be a good thing.
May I come visit you and help you clean your garage?
You are most welcome, who knows what we might find?
Old 11-08-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Parrothead
I like this idea alot! My cross stitch scroll frame has that so you can baste the fabric and then roll as you stitch. Your idea would work just like that for a quilt, thank you so very much.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:05 PM

you can use the cool ladder to hang quilts on

wow, here you had it in the garage and transporting from move to move

what else is hiding in the garage???
There are some wonderful things out there. There is an apple picking ladder from Massachusetts that is easily early 1900's, not very sturdy but it is old and beautiful. Some day we'll have to climb up in the rafters and look for other treasures.
Crafty Bear, you are amazing! I like your ideas and using the ladder to hang quilts on is a fun idea. My husband said to tell you about the two handled saw we have from about the same era. If you find yourself in Colorado come by and we'll find a tree to cut down and make ourselves some quilt frames; perhaps even a ladder or two. Seriously, thank you very much for your help.