Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Four-four time block >

Four-four time block

Four-four time block

Old 07-09-2009, 06:32 PM

Ok, so I am very new to quilting (and sewing) but am finishing my first quilt now (just binding left). I have already picked out a quilt to work on as my second. It's the four-four time block. Is this going to be too challenging for a beginner? I am not too concerned about the half square triangles, but I am having trouble finding info on joining h.s.t. to a full square. I am not explaining this very well. Essentially, I need some info on joining to h.s.t.'s to a full square so I end up with a larger triangle. Does this make sense? Should I just look for a different project? Help, please!!!
Old 07-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Banned

i don't know that block and when i googled that name i couldn't find anything.

do you have a pic that you can post
Old 07-09-2009, 07:00 PM

I took pics on my cell phone and then uploaded them; not very good, but maybe they will help? I looked on google too and could find nothing! It came from the book 101 Fabulous Rotary-Cut Quilts by Judy Hopkins & Nancy J. Martin.

Hmmm... no pics. Better go back and reread directions on posting!
Old 07-09-2009, 07:05 PM

let's try this again...

***bit of a sticky situation, here. i think we might be in violation of copyright law if we leave the pics of the pages from the book. since i'm not sure, i think we'll play it safest. luckily, i'm 99.99% sure the block is in the public domain because i found one almost exactly like it in my block base database. since sashing with cornerstones is a very common way to set blocks, i think any "design" that sets this block that way would also be considered unprotected. soooooo, i'm replacing the pics from the book with images exported from EQ. you'll all still get the idea. and we should be safe from the lawyers. ;-)***
Attached Thumbnails attachment-20664.jpe   attachment-21459.jpe  
Old 07-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Banned

for the 2 color corner triangles i would sew a 4 patch together.

lights on opposite corners and darks on the other corners and then cut the block in half on the diagonal thru the dark squares.

that will leave you with 2 large triangles having an entire light color square with 2 dark triangles attached to it.

you would have to make 2 of these 4 square units to cut in half yielding four 2 color corner triangles.

does that make sense to you?
Old 07-09-2009, 07:30 PM

Welcome Chrissy. You found a very pretty pattern, it shouldn't be too hard for you if you take your time. The two HST's are sewn to the small square as shown on the right side of your first picture. Make 4 sets like this. After you have put your large square together, nine pieces, then you sew each HST set to each side of the square. Remember to press each step. This will finish up as a square. Post pictures when you get er done. Hope this makes sense to you, am not good with words. :D
Old 07-09-2009, 07:39 PM

Oh my goodness, Klue, that made perfect sense! Admittedly, I had to draw it out on paper, but it definitely made sense. Bluebird, I did see the pic, but wasn't sure that I could actually get the points to line up correctly if I just sewed the triangles to the square-- was worried about stretching the triangles out of shape... But Klue's way eliminates that concern I think! My only question is will I need to cut the dark fabric a little larger than directions (which do include the seam allowance) or not. I don't think so, but I'm not sure... And thanks for the very quick help!!! BTW, Bluebird, your words were perfect-- helped me with the directions a bit :mrgreen:
Old 07-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Banned

LOL - i drew it out too just to make sure it would work.

make just one block to start to make sure all the measurements are correct.

i'm not sure if the author has you cut squares and then cut them into 4 triangles.

i think you might be able to just use them same cutting guidelines.

if you have time throw a sample together over the next day or 2 and take a pic and post back to us.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns

for the 2 color corner triangles i would sew a 4 patch together.

lights on opposite corners and darks on the other corners and then cut the block in half on the diagonal thru the dark squares.

that will leave you with 2 large triangles having an entire light color square with 2 dark triangles attached to it.

you would have to make 2 of these 4 square units to cut in half yielding four 2 color corner triangles.
I might have not had enough coffee this AM. But here is my concern about this method.

Yes you can do them that way - but what you suggest, I think will "loose" the seam allowance. The diagonal cut will be at the corner of the light and will not leave you a seam allowance. To use this method, you would need to keep the light squares the right size and make the dark squares larger - something like the following picture. Then you would need the trim the edges and cut on the diagonal. The second picture is what it would look like cut and then trimmed. Which it what you are looking for I think . . .

Ok does this make ANY sense?? or do I need more coffee??

Blocks sewn tog
[ATTACH=CONFIG]40644[/ATTACH]

cut and trimmed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]40645[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-40644.jpe   attachment-40645.jpe  
Old 07-10-2009, 06:49 AM

All I can say is this way toooooo much math for my brain. I'm dizzy just trying to figure out what you guys are doing... :shock: