Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fractured bargello jacket

Fractured bargello jacket

I was making this for my sister. The directions said just use a sweatshirt. The only place I could find one was at Walmart. As I was nearing the end, it occurred to me that this jacket was going to be short. Even though she is petite. Should I sew a band around the bottom out of the brown like the sleeves. I'm so disappointed. Lots of work not to mention the cost and I wouldn't blame her if she never wore it like it is. Appreciate any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    very pretty jacket.

Could you show her the style of jacket with and without the band so she could tell you what she would like?
    Come to Me and I will give you rest--Jesus.

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    Not sure why it is short. Did you cut it that way? You can add fabric to bottom doubled with batting in between. It will be fine. How are you finishing the edges. I usually finish with binding. Are you closing with zipper? It looks very nice and I am sure she will love it. I make several of the jackets each year. I like how you did yours and if you don't mind, think I will try your piecing next time. The colors also look "rich". Good Job!

I just followed the directions. I think. I cut the band off the bottom. Yes I'm going to bind it and thinking about leaving it like that. Right now I just need to walk away from it for a while. I wanted to finish it in time to mail it for her birthday next week. Thanks for your help. I think I will do that.

I did the same thing with a sweatshirt from WMart that I made into a quilted jacket for my mom. She was also very petite & the jacket came out on the short side. I added a band at the bottom & was happy with the results. If I were to do it again I would use a simple purchased jacket pattern!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't think it's too short. Some people like them that way. Go ahead and finish it, and if your sister thinks it's too short, you can still add a hem.

Maggiemay .... your jacket is so beautiful! The band around the bottom sets it off perfectly.

Froggiey .... IMHO, finishing your jacket similarly would be a solution to your querry.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

Very rich warm colors. I am sure she will be delighted with it.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I would definitely put something on the bottom, if you have any of your fabric strips left over I would pick 3 or 4 or however many it takes to make it a length you like and run them perpendicular to the body of the jacket and simply line them with a solid piece of one of your fabrics. This will give the jacket a nice finish and if you think the banding needs more body simply put a piece of light weight batting in and SID on the added piece.
    Lori - MamaBear

I have made jackets out of the sweatshirts from Walmart, too...I ended up putting a band on the bottom on 2 of them. The third one, I left the band on. and stretched it a bit to make it square. Worked well.
    BTW, I turn my sweatshirt inside out to stitch on. This way the "lining" of the jacket is the outside of the original sweatshirt instead of the fleecy inside of the shirt.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

I made a jacket with a sweatshirt and they always say to cut off the ribbing which makes the sleeves and jacket too short. So I added additional sweatshirt fabric to the original before starting the quilting part.
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

It is really beautiful, I would add a band and it will be perfect!

I'd add a band or several on the bottom. The jacket is way too short for me. This pattern calls for removing the bottom band from the sweatshirt, that's how it ends up too short. I'd add at least the distance from the bottom of the sleeve length to the middle of your hand (3-4"), but if it were for me, I'd make it as long as my fingertips (7-8"). My measurements assume that the sleeve length is correct, that it will go down to a wrist watch on your arm.
    Sue Wilson

I always buy an XXL Mens sweatshirt. That way it is long enough, I use a jacket pattern to cut out the sleeves and jacket body.

I wish I had know all of this before I started. Thank you all so much!

Don't forget to buy a mens sweatshirt at least one size larger than you wear due to the fabric you take up in the seams. I usually look for a mens tall also. So far no problems in length.

I've extended the length on a sweatshirt jacket as carol mentions here and it worked out beautifully. There are a couple of ways of doing it, but it's works well -
    Quote Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier View Post
    Not sure why it is short. Did you cut it that way? You can add fabric to bottom doubled with batting in between. It will be fine. How are you finishing the edges. I usually finish with binding. Are you closing with zipper? It looks very nice and I am sure she will love it. I make several of the jackets each year. I like how you did yours and if you don't mind, think I will try your piecing next time. The colors also look "rich". Good Job!
    Kate

If you're going to buy a sweatshirt too big and use a jacket pattern, why not just buy fleece in the first place?
    Sue Wilson

I may be mistaken but I don't believe that fabric is available most places and it would take somewhere around 3 yards of 40" fabric to make a jacket. That in itself would price it out of my range. Sweatshirts are anywhere from 9.00 to 15.00 where I live and cheaper on sale. Not sure what it cost in other areas of our country or the availability of the fabric. Could be its a cheaper route in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by charsuewilson View Post
    If you're going to buy a sweatshirt too big and use a jacket pattern, why not just buy fleece in the first place?

[QUOTE=Froggiey;6416068]YI was making this for my sister. The directions said just use a sweatshirt. The only place I could find one was at Walmart. You could buy another sweatshirt and get your extra fabric from it. They aren't too expensive and it would be a perfect match.

These patterns usually suggest getting a sweatshirt a size larger than needed.

Joann's has sweatshirt fabric in several colors. Recently it was on sale for 9$ a yard - 60 inches wide. A yard should do it. I make 40" sq dog blankets. Not too bad price wise.

Blog Entries
    I always use a man's sweatshirt and you will have not trouble with length. Mind you you don't have the variety of colors but you can usually find some lighter ones as well as black, grey and white.

Blog Entries
    I was in your shoes last year. I had saved the labels from men's shirts I used in quilting and wanted to sew them randomly on a sweatshirt but. . . ALAS, it was too short. I took left over shirt squares and sewed them along the edge on the diagonal overlapping about 1/3 to 1/2. I didn't finish the edges as it was just an experiment but it turned out great.

What I would do is take two little blocks of each next or continuing bargello print from the line in the jacket above and continue the line down by sewing the 2 blocks right sides together (three sides) to finish the edges. Turn and press then attach each raw edge of each block below the appropriate line. You wouldn't even have to make them even since it's bargello. You could either leave that inside seam along the bottom or bind it inside to finish. That would just continue the bargello effect.
    Last edited by mhollifiel; 11-22-2013 at 05:57 AM.
    Holli
    Your Favorite (Retired) School Librarian

Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, For I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast