Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fray Check alternative >

Fray Check alternative

Fray Check alternative

Old 07-21-2015, 08:16 AM

I use Fray Block. It dries soft. It comes in a tube or bottle with brush. Got it at Joann's, but have seen it at Walmart and some quilt stores. You just use a small drop on the spot, it dries quick.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
I use clear nail polish when hand appliqueing. Just barely touch the almost dry brush to the edges of the fabric. If done right, it will soak in about two threads of the fabric edge.
That's a great tip, we use it to cover chigger and mosquito bites so we've always a bottle handy. Does it show through on applique or turn the fabric darker? May need to do a test piece, my current product of choice doesn't change the fabric color when dried.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
I use Fray Block. It dries soft. It comes in a tube or bottle with brush. Got it at Joann's, but have seen it at Walmart and some quilt stores. You just use a small drop on the spot, it dries quick.
I've seen several different products recently at Joann's that look to be the same as Sew Secure. As soon as my bottle of Sew Secure runs out I might do a product testing, including clear nail polish.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:32 PM

I have never heard of this product. But I do know what you mean about the fray block drying stiff... I found that June Tailor's brand of fray block dries much softer. I will have to check into this as well
Old 07-22-2015, 04:44 AM

I first learned about clear nail polish as a fray stopper when viewing a video by Elly Sienkiewicz. I figured if it was good enough for her I would give it a try. She used Sally Hanson because it was the least expensive. The only problem I have found with nail polish is that the bottle of polish drys out and get thick rather quickly.
I now use Fray Block because it dries soft and does not show on the front if I accidentally get too much.
I have never seen Sew Secure.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:36 AM

If you use too much, the fabric will turn slightly darker and be very stiff. That's why I said use an "almost dry brush" so only the first couple threads get "polished". In the point of a "V", use as light a hand as possible. I usually apply the polish before I do any clipping.

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
That's a great tip, we use it to cover chigger and mosquito bites so we've always a bottle handy. Does it show through on applique or turn the fabric darker? May need to do a test piece, my current product of choice doesn't change the fabric color when dried.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:42 AM

Thanks for sharing info, I have some of that purple fabric, love it!
Old 07-22-2015, 11:19 AM
Power Poster

Haven't heard of this product, but will look for it the next time I'm in a fabric store. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:34 AM

It's always nice to have a good alternative to something like Fray Check, since it may not always be there when you need it and are looking for something else to fill the bill. Thanks for the information.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:29 PM

I just went to the Jones Tones website and it looks like the name has changed to "Fray-Guard" (http://jonestones.com/product_info.p...products_id=16). It is being sold under both names on eBay.