Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with Brother Nouvelle 1500s & Little Gracie >

Need help with Brother Nouvelle 1500s & Little Gracie

Need help with Brother Nouvelle 1500s & Little Gracie

Old 11-02-2011, 02:53 AM

Default Need help with Brother Nouvelle 1500s & Little Gracie

I got a Brother Novelle 1500s a couple of months ago that free motion quilts beautifully off the frame. When I put it on my Little Gracie quilt frame it makes bird's nests on the underside of the quilt. The book that came with the machine isn't very helpful. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have 5 quilts waiting to be quilted!
Old 11-02-2011, 01:41 PM

I have the same machine on a Little Gracie II frame. I was having similar issues. The CHECK-LIST I follow is 1- Pressure foot down. 2- check to be sure it is threaded correctly, including bobbin. Before I start a quilt, I do a check spot of the tension to be sure it is balanced. Most often when I get the nest, it is when I forgot to lower the pressure foot or the thread slipped from the tension spring --- I also had an issue with the thread breaking every several inches. When I was talking to the store, He suggested to check the level of the bars and make sure they were not too high. Bingo. I lowered the bars to sit on the machine so the quilt sandwich was not floating and it was smooth for rows at a time with out the thread breaking. I have seen responces that suggest that the quilt sandwich should be at least a finger from the surface of the machine, but with my setup it works best when the top has no bounce. I also just bought new needles, size 14. I am hoping this also makes a difference. I was using size 11. --- My machine also worked beautiful off the frame. I hope this helps.

Last edited by DebbyT; 11-02-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:10 PM

Welcome Darloonie! Start with the quilt level ... as Debbie T suggested. Do a re-thread of top and bottom threads (spool and bobbin) Also, i oil my thread (just a tiny spritz of silicone oil on the top spool)

Good luck!
Old 11-02-2011, 06:25 PM

Default Brother Nouvelle 1500s

Thank you for your help. I will try your suggestions this weekend.

Originally Posted by DebbyT View Post
I have the same machine on a Little Gracie II frame. I was having similar issues. The CHECK-LIST I follow is 1- Pressure foot down. 2- check to be sure it is threaded correctly, including bobbin. Before I start a quilt, I do a check spot of the tension to be sure it is balanced. Most often when I get the nest, it is when I forgot to lower the pressure foot or the thread slipped from the tension spring --- I also had an issue with the thread breaking every several inches. When I was talking to the store, He suggested to check the level of the bars and make sure they were not too high. Bingo. I lowered the bars to sit on the machine so the quilt sandwich was not floating and it was smooth for rows at a time with out the thread breaking. I have seen responces that suggest that the quilt sandwich should be at least a finger from the surface of the machine, but with my setup it works best when the top has no bounce. I also just bought new needles, size 14. I am hoping this also makes a difference. I was using size 11. --- My machine also worked beautiful off the frame. I hope this helps.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:41 PM

Hi
Ive had this machine for a while but never really used it. just had it serviced and it was working fine, until I broke a needle. I replaced the needle and now the reverse lever goes up and down when I try to use sew.. does anyone have any answers?? this machine is the bane of my existence.. I'm terrified of it.. thanks :-(