Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother Nouvelle 1500S >

Brother Nouvelle 1500S

Brother Nouvelle 1500S

Old 04-17-2016, 12:03 PM

Default Brother Nouvelle 1500S

I have recently gotten back into quilting, and after suffering from sore fingers from hand quilting my latest project, decided that I would like to learn to machine quilt. So I'm also thinking about a new sewing machine. Right now I have a New Home MX3123 which sews great, but I think quilting on it might be a challenge and my little Brother sewing/embroidery combo is even smaller. Someday I'd really like something like the Brother Dream Creator or a Janome 8900, but today a friend emailed me to say her grandmother was selling her barely used Brother Nouvelle 1500S. I read some reviews, and it sounds like this might be a great machine for both piecing and quilting. Any thoughts on this machine, and is it a good deal at $550?
Carol
Old 04-17-2016, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

Here are some Brothers that sold on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Sewing-Machi...p2045573.m1684
I would certainly want to test drive with a small practice sandwich and find out when it was last serviced.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

Here is a link to completed listings for this machine on eBay. The green prices indicate the price it actually sold for. Black prices are listing prices, not sold prices.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...p2045573.m1684

Click on the different listings to get more details. I notice some machines sold for around $300 while others sold for up to $600 or so. Usually there are differences in condition, accessories, etc. although sometimes it is just a matter of chance as well.

Based on my glance at these listings, I would think that $550 may be too much for this machine unless the seller actually gets it serviced first. A machine that has sat around unused for a long time, even if it was never used much, can develop problems and you need a technician to make sure that the sealed gears are still greased, etc. Prices for service checks vary from one area to another. In some places you can get this done for under $100; in others they won't even look at a machine for $150. If you pay $550 and the machine turns out to need servicing, you could be out another $100 or more.

Do you know the difference between this machine and the Brother PQ1500SL? Because you can get a new Brother PQ1500SL for $650 on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-PQ1500...dp/B0149GG9V4/

Used machines typically sell for around half their original value -- a little more for a mint condition, newer machine with lots of accessories -- a little less for other machines. It just seems to me that $550 is a bit high.

Edit: I did find this review which indicates it's a decent machine.
http://www.badassquilterssociety.com...achine-review/

Last edited by Prism99; 04-17-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:20 PM

I have a brother nouvelle pq 1500s. It is a great machine for Fmq. And piecing. Mine has a very nice straight stitch and is not at all picky about thread. You can sometimes find them new online For as little as $650 but they usually run $799 and up. A typical price for a used one is between $400 and $600. There is not much that can go wrong with them since they are a mechanical straight stitch only machine. For $550 I would expect it to have all the original accessories that came with it including the extension table, all the feet, the extra pin for the pin feed, the fabric separator etc. At that price it should also be in excellent working condition and I would also expect it to be cosmetically very good.

Rob
Old 04-17-2016, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

I have this machine. I haven't had any problems with it at all. Well..... I left a spool of thread on the bobbin spool and it got caught in the hand wheel and half the spool was wound on the hand wheel shaft before I found it. I got off as much as I could and left the rest. It's been that way for about 5 years and still sewing great. You have to keep it oiled. I oil about every 4 hours of use. Just a drop or two in the holes. I don't baby this machine at all and it keeps on sewing. I don't see how much can be wrong with a slightly used one.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:04 PM

I have the 1500 and love it. It's my favorite machine out of the 7 I own. I told my husband if it ever died, I'd replace it with another one rather than use a backup machine. (So I guess I could sell my other machines.... )

My husband purchased it used from his hunting buddy's wife. She was quilting with it, had it on a New Joy frame. Apparently she got frustrated with the lack of quilting space and bought a Gammill to replace it. Talk about an upgrade!

Anyway - lucky me, my husband paid $400 total for the Brother and New Joy frame. I use it for piecing.

Yahoo has a group dedicated to that machine, you might check it out.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:25 AM

I also have that machine and it's a good machine.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:52 PM

I would offer 450, Even though it is hardly used it is what most get sold for so I would see if she will come down because a little more will get you a new one so for me not a great deal
Old 04-19-2016, 03:08 AM

Thank you for all of the advice. I haven't had a chance to talk with the actual seller yet; I've just been talking with my friend. But it does have the table and all of the accessories and is about 3 years old, but she's only used it a couple of times. Hopefully I can get in touch with the seller today and find out a little bit more. It's been a little crazy here in the Houston area with all of the flooding around! Although it has meant extra quilting time since school was cancelled yesterday and again today!
Even if this sale doesn't work out, I am impressed with what I have read and heard about this machine so a purchase of a new one may be in my future!
Carol
Old 04-19-2016, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

When first out, the machine sold for about $1500.