Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: free motion on antique singers?

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    I read in an article that if you do leave the feed dogs up when FMQ then set the stitch length to 0. This prevents the dogs from moving.
    That's how I do it on my regular mechanical, but am going to try it on a vintage machine. My electric one is a class 66. treadle is a 15.

I couldn't believe it, when I saw the harp area on that 96. WOW is what came out of my mouth.

Blog Entries
    There is a website where you can buy the feed dog plate covers for these machines. It does not harm the machine as it screws into a hole already there (at least on mine it does)
    Unfortunately I do not remember the site name so you will have to google for it.
    Sorry I can't be of more help. Perhaps someone else reading this will know and post for us with the name of the company.

Blog Entries
    I have a few old Singers and I can drop the feed dogs on 3 of the electric ones and on my treadle I always use my treadle to quilt on

I FM on my 15 all the time, got a quilt under it now just awaiting! I never use a foot, works well without it, but ya always got to be careful of course!

I have a Singer 15-91 that is my FMQ machine. I dropped the feed dogs, bought an embroidery foot for it, and love love love the stitching it does.

I FMQ with my 15-90 treadle, my feed dogs drop, most of the time I leave them up; uses a modern darning foot. I seem to get better results.

I FMQ with my Singer 15-91's and 201-2's, also on my Necchi BU Supernova machine. I have more than 20 vintage sewing machines and haven't had a chance to try all of them yet for FMQ. I've tried my 301's but haven't had much luck with them, although I've heard others say they love them for FMQ. I don't know why some machines work well and others don't. I do know the bobbin case has a lot to do with it.

For your high shank industrial, you can get a Big Foot darning foot or you can get a Juki high shank embroidery hopping foot. I have both and they both work just fine. The Big Foot (plastic) costs about $28 and the Juki (metal) about $40. The Juki is a lot smoother and gives you better visibility than the Big Foot, but either one will do the job.

For your 15, sew-classic.com has one of the best darning feet I've ever tried (I think I have about 10 different kinds, including some antique "stripper" and darning feet and springs) - the one that works the smoothest and gives you the best visibility costs $3. :)

You don't have to drop or cover the feed dogs, but it gives you one less thing to fight if you can. If you can't, just set your stitch length to zero so that the feed dogs aren't pulling in one direction while you're pulling in another.

Blog Entries
    http://shop.sew-classic.com/High-Shank-Feet_c30.htm this place has an adapter to go from high shank to low shank it might be worth a try

Quote Originally Posted by onthemove
    Does anyone know if you can free motion on a home industrial singer 95-1? It has a high shank and I have not been able to find any information. It is from the early 1900's. How about a singer class 15 from the 1920's? I'm tired of straight stitching!
    I am not familiar with the 95-1, but the 15 series can drop the feed dogs & does wonderful FMQ. the vertical bobbin helps.
    15's take short shank feet & there are all kinds of darning feet out there that fit it. nice harp area also.

Yes you can look on line for free manual down loads International sewing machine collectors society may have them. Be sure to put the presser fot down to engage the tension even with out the foot on

Blog Entries
    yes you just can't regulate the stiches but you release the tension spring at top.

Can I ask what the throat space is on the 96-40 machine? And what does the 40 stand for? i found a 96-10 but don't know the difference.. Thanks a lot, Danielle

from Illinois but living in Ft. Myers,Florida
    ask lostn51--he is on this web site and restores sewing machines and knows a lot about them.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    The 15s have a vertical hook assembly and can free motion quilt!
    Check out this girl doing free motion embroidery on a treadle machine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tcy2dse68M

Here is another video showing some of the other designs, being made with treadle machines, by the Indonesian tsunami survivors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6rKC...eature=related

REALLY remarkable. That 2nd video says they have just been taught how to use the machines. INCREDIBLE! I did look at the foot and it looks like they are using a straight foot. Thanks for the info.

I have found that I DON'T need to cover my feed dogs and I have done all my free motion on my featherwieght. I think that the FM foot is far enough off the ground that it works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by onthemove
    That 2nd video says they have just been taught how to use the machines. I did look at the foot and it looks like they are using a straight foot. .
    You're right! It is a regular foot on her machine!! You can see it at 1:06 minutes into the video.

Great video!

Blog Entries
    I just did my first FMQing on a Singer model 15 from 1915.
    First time I have FMQ, I think that it looks great, I'm so happy. I can't believe I can do it.
    I just love this machine, got it for free on Freecycle.
    Had it services at a local sewing machine shop.
    Told them that I was going to use it for FMQ, was told that it would not work for that and I should buy a Berdina.
    Ha, not going to do that!

Leah Day has a free motion quilting foot on her website that she sells and it comes available for all shank type machines. It is $7.95 and there is a tutorial on the page that you should watch.
    Here is the site:
    http://www.daystyledesigns.com/freemotionfoot.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Surfergirl
    I've tried my 301's but haven't had much luck with them, although I've heard others say they love them for FMQ.
    Until I acquired my Husqvarna I only had my 301 and used it to FMQ about 6 quilts. Didn't know any better but learned to not do the roll method and puddle instead. I think it is just a matter of what you get used to. I just found a 15-91 and was drawn to it because of the good reports on this board for using it to FMQ and also the larger bobbin size. I don't think it has any more room in the neck area of the machine than my 301 did but after getting it checked out I will have to give it a run. Since I have such a variety of machines around here I probably already have a darning foot that will fit it. I haven't even checked to see what kind of shank it has. Anyone have that info? Ann in TN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2