Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: free motion on antique singers?

Does anyone know if you can free motion on a home industrial singer 95-1? It has a high shank and I have not been able to find any information. It is from the early 1900's. How about a singer class 15 from the 1920's? I'm tired of straight stitching!

Blog Entries
    if you have a way to cover the feed dogs, it should work ok.

Sorry. I should clarify. I can take the feed dogs out but I don't have feet for either machine and I don't know if they made any back then or I can retrofit something new.

Lately I have been Free motion quilting with my feed dogs up but(Janome 6500) I have not yet tried it on my singer 15-91. DH came up with it after he read online of people having antigue machines free motion quilting without covering the feed dogs. The Singer 15 is supposed to be the vintage free motion machine to use.

You do need a darning foot or free motion foot. They are available online.

Quote Originally Posted by onthemove
    Sorry. I should clarify. I can take the feed dogs out but I don't have feet for either machine and I don't know if they made any back then or I can retrofit something new.

The 15s have a vertical hook assembly and can free motion quilt!

Blog Entries
    My 15 feed dogs do not drop. I leave them up and have a daring for for it. Love this machine!

Blog Entries
    My 15 feed dogs do drop. There's a screw underneath the machine that adjusts the feed dogs. You can buy darning/free motion feet for the 15 but I believe the book just tells you to take the foot off and sew without it. I have to look and see.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualbernie
    My 15 feed dogs do drop. There's a screw underneath the machine that adjusts the feed dogs. You can buy darning/free motion feet for the 15 but I believe the book just tells you to take the foot off and sew without it. I have to look and see.
    Edited:

I just checked the book and you can fmq without the feet and replace it when you're done. They do recommend that you use a hoop if you are darning though. That being said, I just ordered a fm foot for my machine because I'm afraid I'm going to sew over my fingers :cry:

If you want to cover the feed dogs and your machine has a screw hole in the bed near the feed dogs (used for some attachments) you can use the feed dog cover plate that comes with the old Singer buttonholers. It works just fine whether you are trying to make a buttonhole or FM quilt.

Blog Entries
    Though I bought quilting foot my is Geist they compatible. Have tO figure out feed dogs tho!

Blog Entries
    Mine is 15-91 not sure is same

I am going to ask about the low shank on ebay however i CANNOT find a high shank for the 95-1. Anyone have a clue? I have tried fmq without a foot and it is a nightmare for me.

Banned
    couple thoughts. The darning foot (used for free motion) ha been around for a long time. It was used to darn socks and holes in clothing. I took a clas years ago and was shown a beautiful heiroom childs dress with cutwork that had been done on an old machine.
    Having said that.
    Your machine is most likely a low shank machine.
    Check for a "Big Foot" available from Lynn Graves. I believe she developed this foot to do free motion on a Singer featherweight. Also. Search for a group intereted in vintage machines. They will most likely have good information. You might email Lynn Graves and ask her the quetion.

Banned
    If you go to Little Foot web site there is a chart listing all the machines and models the Big Foot will fit.

This looks promising. They do in fact show a high shank so I am going to order it. I will let you all know if it works on my old singer. THANK YOU ,THANK YOU!!!!!

Good luck with your new machine. I FMQ on my model 15 treadle using a quilting foot. I cannot lower the feed dogs so just zero out the stitch length and this stops the feed dogs from trying to grab the material. Lots of fun sewing on the vintage machines.

Does anyone know if you can free motion on a home industrial singer 95-1? It has a high shank and I have not been able to find any information. It is from the early 1900's. How about a singer class 15 from the 1920's? I'm tired of straight stitching!
    I set up a 1936 Singer 96-40 industrial machine for my wife to FMQ on, but I had the problem of finding a high shank hopping foot for it. I eventually lowered the presser bar and fitted a low shank hopping foot to it, but we didnít like the results. The needlebar travel is just more than the little plastic feet want to handle for very long. She was able to persevere through a couple of large quilts and get them finished, but it was a struggle and we went through 3 feet. Now, at least on the smaller quilts, sheís happy using my Singer 301A for FMQ.

Iím working on adapting a Viking high shank foot for use on the 96-40, but I havenít gotten it ďtweakedĒ yet to give it a go.

The model 95 is a smaller harp than the series 31 or 96 machines, so Iím wondering if you will gain that much over a domestic model (class 15, etc) for larger quilts? Feet, parts, and needles are easier to come by for the household machines too. I have a 1936 Singer 95-40 at the shop that Iím setting up for hemming jeans, but I havenít ever measured the throat on it to compare it to the larger industrials or the class 15s.

CD in Oklahoma

Singer 96-40 FMQ
    Name:  Attachment-223752.jpe
Views: 424
Size:  73.1 KB

Singer 96-40
    Name:  Attachment-223754.jpe
Views: 822
Size:  39.5 KB

Singer 95-40
    Name:  Attachment-223755.jpe
Views: 674
Size:  37.9 KB

just bought a 15-91 singer last week. It is in a small cabinet and has all the attachments, etc and is in very good condition. I found it in a thrift store for $40.00. Haven't had time to try it yet. Too many ball games!!!!!

I got a 1935 Singer 15-91 that belonged to my grandparents. I just ordered a darning foot last week from sew-classic.com and WOW! That thing rocks! That 76yr old machine FMQ better than my 3 1/2yr old $2000 Pfaff Quilt Expression 2048. My mom has an old Singer treadle cabinet that I will collect tomorrow and I will be in FMQ business!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Launie
    I got a 1935 Singer 15-91 that belonged to my grandparents. I just ordered a darning foot last week from sew-classic.com and WOW! That thing rocks! That 76yr old machine FMQ better than my 3 1/2yr old $2000 Pfaff Quilt Expression 2048. My mom has an old Singer treadle cabinet that I will collect tomorrow and I will be in FMQ business!
    Aren't they great? I have 2 and I love, love, love them!

I love your 96. I can't believe how wide the bed is. Let me know how that viking foot works out. I just ordered the high shank big foot another poster recommended.

if you get a index card and tape it to the plate area with painters tape, you know that lovely shade of blue . hand bring up your bobbin thread, and it also makes your whole on the index card, you should be ready to go.So just remember you are the stitch regulator.have fun , BUT practice on a scrap-quilt sandwich first, put the batting in too that you will be using.Sandra

I am going to ask about the low shank on ebay however i CANNOT find a high shank for the 95-1. Anyone have a clue? I have tried fmq without a foot and it is a nightmare for me.
    I saw an ad the other day for an adapter that converts the high shank to low shank. I think it may have been on Ebay.

Banned
    I read in an article that if you do leave the feed dogs up when FMQ then set the stitch length to 0. This prevents the dogs from moving.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast