Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion is more like limited motion! >

Free motion is more like limited motion!

Free motion is more like limited motion!

Old 12-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Power Poster

Try a size 16 needle. What machine do you have?
Old 12-28-2013, 12:58 AM

You don't say what thread you're using. I never used to be a 'believer' that machines did not 'like' certain threads, always assuming thread breakages were due to tension issues. That was until I tried to LA with Aurifil (yes - Aurifil!) on my LQS Gammill. Snap, snap, snap.

I'd used it a few times before with King Tut and YLI and think I might have used a Connecting Threads one I was gifted too. Apparently it hates Aurifil, but Gutermann is OK. Still reeling (no pun intended).
Old 12-28-2013, 01:15 AM

I would say bigger needle. I have the same issue with some threads when I embroider. It helps changing to a bigger needle.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:42 AM

What kind of machine do you have? I have a Babylock Esante and there is no way I can free motion on it. Mary
Old 12-28-2013, 03:12 AM
Power Poster

what foot are you using? a *hopping foot* (darning, free motion---they are called different things in different locales) ? the needle choice needs to coincide with the weight of the thread---visit the 'Superior Threads' web site to find charts on what needle to use with what thread. some machines are made to stitch in one direction- and do not take well to changing direction- but if you have your feed dogs down, a free motion foot on, the correct size/type needle for the type/weight of thread you *might* be able to 'fool' the machine. if we knew what machine you are 'trying' to use we may have more ideas/suggestions for you.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:39 AM

another thing to think about is your hands themselves ! Do you wear mechingers gloves ( I know my spelling is off ) or are you trying to do it bare handed ? I constantly snap thread if I am not wearing my gloves reguardless of what size piece I am working on because I just do not have proper control of the fabric in certain directions ! Also make sure your hand speed stays consistent, not faster / slower in different directions or going around curves. You may need to slow your machine down when moving in certain directions to suit your hand speed
Old 12-28-2013, 04:59 AM
Banned

Sounds like it is time to talk with your dealer or repair person.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:37 AM

Its a Singer Quantium Stylist 9960. I had better luck last night and was able to so stippling on 2 practice pcs with not snaps. My husband thinks it is "user error". I hope he is right! I do use gloves and don't think I could move the fabric without them. I am using a darning foot that my husband altered to make it open toe. That alone feels so much better. I can see the stitches easier than the closed toe.

I looked at the Sulky Viscose thread but was not sure what it was...now that I know it works I might try that. I am using overlock thread which seems linty.

Fingers crossed today is productive!

Thanks for all he suggestions!
Old 12-28-2013, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Use a pair of old pantyhose and run it all around inside the bobbin and case. Do the same under and around the plate and along the thread route. If the pantyhose catch anywhere, you will know you have a rough spot. I think the repairmen have a special cloth for polishing out burrs?
If you find a rough spot and need to polish it a bit (emphasis on the BIT), its called emery cloth.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:08 AM

ahhhhh overlock thread snaps / frays on me every time. It does not stand up to the speed and friction that FMQ gives it. I use the Essential Pro thread from Connecting Threads and have never had any trouble with it for FMQ !