Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting Class... ohhhh what a challenge >

Free Motion Quilting Class... ohhhh what a challenge

Free Motion Quilting Class... ohhhh what a challenge

Old 08-28-2012, 08:00 AM

The hardest part for me was giving myself permission to sew in any direction except forward. Trace doodles on any surface with the index finger of your writing hand to imprint going in all directions on your brain. I practice my intended pattern on a dry erase board before I start a quilt as I FM without marking my quilt.

I haven't mastered feathers so I will start tracing some while you do doodles.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:23 AM

MattieMae; This was @ a LQS and I used my own machine, my Designer 1. My Ellisimo is sooooo heavy that even with my new rolling tote bag there is no way I could have lifted her out of my SUV!!

Originally Posted by MattieMae View Post
Sounds nice, I like going to hands-on classes. Was this at your Babylock dealer, and were sewing machines provided for you?
Old 08-28-2012, 11:25 AM

Interesting that you mention tracing with fingers and drawing, our instructor also encouraged this but she uses one of the children's erasable boards.. similar to an etch a sketch for tracing and trying out new designs.
Thank you all for yet more ideas and most of all encouragement!! I definitely need that!
Old 08-28-2012, 11:27 AM

Quilter 1943, yes I am 'of an age' where I do remember penmanship classes and doing endless circles. I think that would definitely help me.. as I type everything out now. I guess I need to go 'back to school' to learn to FMQ! giggle

Originally Posted by quilter1943 View Post
Have no idea if you're my age, but remember penmanship classes, making circles and circles and more circles? That is how I finally got a rhythm into my fmq stitches. I think it's normal to be better with different directions, etc. I found that making hearts combined with some doodlling and also some stars like you'd draw it with a pencil were the easiest to start. Draw some designs from stencils and follow the lines also. You'll have lots of fun with this.