Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting and iPad >

Free Motion Quilting and iPad

Free Motion Quilting and iPad

Old 11-14-2017, 05:20 AM

Default Free Motion Quilting and iPad

I am trying to improve my fmq skills and know that muscle memory plays a big role. Does anyone know if there is a fmq app or book that you download and trace (either with your finger of apple pen) the pattern?

Thanks! Patt
Old 11-14-2017, 01:21 PM

I learned to fmq by watching different videos and practice, practice, and so much more practice. if I'm in a hurry, I'll use painter's paper and cut it the length of quilt, fold it like you would if you were making paper dolls, and then draw a design w/ a connecting line on the two folded sides. Unthread your needle and sew following the design. Open it up and pin to your quilt and free motion quilt away. The paper tears away like a dream.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:45 PM

Don't know of any, but sounds like a good idea. Come to think of it, some quilting books have disc's in the back of the patterns.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:49 PM

I have a small sketch book that I just doodle in with a fine point sharpie marker. It's amazing how quickly your skills will improve and the benefit of just doodling is that you will develop the ability to move around a quilt without marking. What I do is start with a motif (like a feather) and then try to work my way all over the page doing traditional quilting fills, like pebbles, paisleys, spikey things, anything I can think of that will help fill in and will also be fairly even in terms of density while at the same time using patterns that are of different scales, so some large things, some small and some medium. Another thing to look at would be some of the Zentangle books-- a lot of their patterns are identical to traditional quilting patterns, and the books give very clear directions on how to draw some of them as continuous line drawings--exactly what you would want with a quilting pattern.

Rob
Old 11-14-2017, 03:16 PM

I purchased a children's toy called DoodlePRO. I practice different FMQ designs on it and it has made my life much easier. I really struggle with FMQ designs. I have to put paper patterns over my quilt and sew on the lines. I use newspaper print paper.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:37 PM
Power Poster

I find that for me, drawing with my finger is different than moving the fabric so I haven't had much success with the doodling. I have better luck just doing the FMQ. It does improve over time although I am no expert! I have tried a few of Leah Day's motifs successfully, but, other than a nice meander I still need a lot of practice. I really do enjoy doing the FMQ. My machine has cooperated mostly and I got one of those Flying Carpet Sleds which replaces the Supreme Slider (google it or look on Amazon). I can do all of my own quilts. I find it easier than straight line quilting and I am a failure at stitch in or near the ditch, even with the special foot.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:52 PM

I just googled "DoodlePro"" and it looks an awful lot like an "Etch-A'Sketch" - am I getting old, even the toys are re-invented!!! LOL
Old 11-14-2017, 04:53 PM

Thanks for the Zentangle ideas - I'm adding some books to my "Christmas Wishlist" on Amazon! I think this would help to unlock a bit of creativity and help me to practice, practice, practice. Thanks again!

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Another thing to look at would be some of the Zentangle books-- a lot of their patterns are identical to traditional quilting patterns, and the books give very clear directions on how to draw some of them as continuous line drawings--exactly what you would want with a quilting pattern.

Rob
Old 11-14-2017, 06:10 PM

I'm honing my FMQ skills with videos and sketching on a sketch pad. It seems to be working for me
Old 11-15-2017, 04:26 AM

Yes, there is. Teachers on Craftsy demo sketches on their devices. My tablet isn't big enough to practice well, so I removed the app. Do not recall which one it was but there were several available . You might ask your question at Angela's blog, quiltingismytherapy.com.