Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting Let's Chit Chat! >

Free Motion Quilting Let's Chit Chat!

Free Motion Quilting Let's Chit Chat!

Old 06-16-2010, 07:22 PM

I have tried it on a small quilt using a Brother machine. I didn't feel in control...yikes!! I just cleaned up my new girl, a Singer 301 from 1951 and she purrs like a kitten. As soon as I get her cabinet back into a beautiful state, I'm ready to really learn to FMQ.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:27 PM

I took a shor class for Free Motion and let me tell you, it takes a lot of practice to say the least. It look easy at first but it isn't. Like I said it takes a lot of practice to get the feel of moving the fabric and the speed at which to go. The instructor said the faster you go on the machine the easier it is which is true but practice, practice, practice!!! Oh yea.....lots of thread to practice so if you have thread you don't like I would use that up.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:56 PM

I always say you didn't learn cursive in one day, why do you expect to learn to write with your machine in one day.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:37 AM

Thanks for the link ;-)
Old 06-17-2010, 05:50 AM

I am learning. I have been trying FMQ on the Doll Quilt Swaps, and have had some success, but I have a very long way to go. I bought the book, One Line At a Time, while on a shop hop. The gal at the shop made it look easy while she was talking about it. I am still intimidated, so haven't had the courage to try it yet. I am bookmarking this thread and will study all of the responses and the links. I have learned so many other things by doing this, who knows, I may get the courgage to branch out a little more. Thanks for all of the links.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:58 AM

Go to YouTube and google it. There are soooo many video's on how to do it and domestic and longarm machines! I loved it on my Bernina and now my A1
Old 06-17-2010, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Free Motion Quilting

I was wondering who likes to do free motion quilting?
I love FMQ. I guess it's the feedom of movement I like. I don't have any books tho. I was making Linus quilts with my ASG at the time so I practiced on them. The Linus police were very kind.

I used to do SITD but found it very boring and quit tedious having to follow all those ditches even with my special foot.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:13 AM

i agree with looking at as many books, videos, youtube and instructors as you can - all contribute wonderful tips and techniques. But once you have the basics down, you have to spread your wings and fly! Practice as much as you can...a little every time you are at your machine.
I personally find it easier to trace a continuous line template with a blue water soluble marker, and then try to follow that with my machine.
Once I have the "memory" of the design into my brain, I then find it easier to do it on my own with no lines.
Anyone else feel that way or do others have a different approach?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by wishiwerequilting
i agree with looking at as many books, videos, youtube and instructors as you can - all contribute wonderful tips and techniques. But once you have the basics down, you have to spread your wings and fly! Practice as much as you can...a little every time you are at your machine.
I personally find it easier to trace a continuous line template with a blue water soluble marker, and then try to follow that with my machine.
Once I have the "memory" of the design into my brain, I then find it easier to do it on my own with no lines.
Anyone else feel that way or do others have a different approach?
Yes, that is how I feel, too. Tracing it helps and when you do the same pattern several times, it gets easier.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:56 AM

Did I say I expected to FMQ in one day!? I said it takes a lot of practice.