Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting Let's Chit Chat! >

Free Motion Quilting Let's Chit Chat!

Free Motion Quilting Let's Chit Chat!

Old 06-16-2010, 06:55 AM

I do it, but I'm not sure I really enjoy it. It gets to be a bit of a pain working on the larger quilts, but once I get going I just focus on getting it done...bit by bit by bit. :mrgreen:
Old 06-16-2010, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by walen
Bernina has put out new software for the BSR and has suggested replacing a spring in the BSR foot with a stronger one.

The update makes the BSR work even better than it already does! It's well worth your time and money.
As luck would have it, my BSR has a loose connection and it's under warranty! I'm getting the new one for free. I hardly ever get to take advantage of a warranty. And, better yet, the store where I bought my machine is no longer a Bernina authorized dealer. Since I've been really unhappy with their customer service, this is a good thing because I got the warranty transferred to a store I much prefer. Things never work out like that for me, so I'm a pretty happy camper.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:27 AM

For smaller projects I have used the spray adhesive to sandwich the quilt and it worked well to eliminate the puckers on the back.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:40 AM

I like doing stipple or meander with free motion. I'm learning to do patterns and it is very hard. But, I am enjoying it.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:43 AM

Once you take that first step, remind yourself to relax so the fabric can move :) it is great fun. Mine still isn't perfect but "oh well". Each one gets better---now to master feathers!!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:48 AM

My favorite quilting style! Doesn't take too much concentration.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:01 AM

I bought a FAB U MOTION for free motion quilting you put your material on this plate & you move the plate not your material it is great.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:06 AM

I have been free motion quilting on a domestic machine (first bernina now viking) for many years. I was taught by Debra Wagner, whose name does not pop up that regularly now, but she does write and she was a very good teacher. (A master quilter, she won many first place ribbons in large shows early on).
Aside from practicing stippling and other shapes, she had us start by quilting our names in free motion. You are very familiar with signing your name, so the memory is in your hands. Just take that to the machine. Try writing it on a fabric sandwich first, then go on to trying it without writing it and going straight to stitching.
Practicing on "cheater cloth" such as pre-printed panels, pillow panels, etc, which are sandwiched with batting is a great practice tool. if they come out well, bind them off and donate to charity.
Another favorite tool of mine is the skillbuilder panels by Renae Allen. There is a book which goes with the panels with tips and instruction.
http://www.quiltersparadiseonline.co...duct=MachineQS
Finally, if you feel you have trouble, review all the links in this post carefully and take notes. Every tip put to good use makes life much easier.
Back in October I posted a tutorial on our blog for basting/sandwiching a quilt with 505 spray. That technique can take the worry out of "what's happening on the back of the quilt" when machine quilting.
http://quiltersparadisecafe.blogspot...max-results=10
Using gloves, the correct needle and thread in your machine, and the supreme slider on the machine bed are all wonderful aids for the machine quilter, so try to use them if you can.

cover of deb wagner's book with her work
[ATTACH=CONFIG]86781[/ATTACH]

machine quilting practice panel
[ATTACH=CONFIG]86783[/ATTACH]

machine quilting practice panel with feathers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]86784[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-86776.jpe   attachment-86778.jpe   attachment-86779.jpe  
Old 06-16-2010, 08:21 AM

I am trying to learn. Not having much luck but am hanging in!
Old 06-16-2010, 08:42 AM

I usually do my straight stitching with FMQ. I have trouble keeping my stitches even. I am working on a log cabin. How should it be quilted. I want to FMQ it in sections.