Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting Questions >

Free Motion Quilting Questions

Free Motion Quilting Questions

Old 03-30-2018, 04:39 PM

You're doing great! Re your question about taping a marker to the shank - you could do this, and move the paper around to get a feel for the movements you want to re-create.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:52 PM

There are lots of videos on YouTube- Angela Walters is a good one to search. Most will tell you to doodle and practice drawing on paper. Also check out your local libraries as they have tons of books on FMQ and other quilting topics. You are doing a great job and kudos to being brave enough to start.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:04 PM

Your quilting looks great.
I don't think it is possible to get too much practice. You can practice by sewing on paper, or with a dry erase board (be careful with that) too. Doodling first on something unimportant can help you to relax. Lori Kennedy is VERY generous with her free fmq designs and tutorials, and they are a fun way to practice. She is at The Inbox Jaunt here:
http://theinboxjaunt.com/
While it's good to try to be consistent with your stitches, it isn't necessary to be overly critical. Unless you are working on something that will go into a show to be judged.
Have fun.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:46 AM

From the looks of your practice piece, I’d say you’re doing pretty darn good. When I first started FMQ on my DSM, I took a hands on class with Leah Day. She had us make a stack of 12x12 sandwiches with solid fabrics. We practiced different designs on the sandwiches. To this day, I still keep a handful of sandwiches handy and use them to warm up, check my tension or even try out a new design. Have fun.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:39 AM

You are doing great!!! I, too, have made practice sandwiches and discovered that I needed lots of them. So recently, I just put a single layer of material over an existing “practiced” sandwich and practice again. I have four or five layers of “top” on a single sandwich. Sure saves on batting!
Old 03-31-2018, 04:26 AM

You are off to a great start. Practice with lots of concepts for ideas. Learning to relax comes with some practice. I like to draw on paper, stencils or coloring book pages and sew on the lines. I have never been able to draw so why would I be able to draw with my sewing machine needle. I just need help and enjoy the outclme. Love to FMQ-my way.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:03 AM

It's very possible to make your practice sandwiches out of fat quarters, batting and NO backing. Works fine just as long as you don't have a batting with a high loft.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rondie View Post
You are doing great!!! I, too, have made practice sandwiches and discovered that I needed lots of them. So recently, I just put a single layer of material over an existing “practiced” sandwich and practice again. I have four or five layers of “top” on a single sandwich. Sure saves on batting!
Thanks for a great idea.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:09 AM

rryder gave great ideas. I just have one more (I did not read all posts). When the bulk of the quilt is in front of the domestic machine, I put the bulk over my shoulder. Either shoulder depending on how the quilt is laying on the machine. This helps stop the drag when the quilt gets caught on the front of the machine.

Your quilting is great! Wish mine were that good too!
Old 03-31-2018, 12:16 PM

Question three- instead of taping a marker to the needle arm, try taking a piece of paper and drawing what you want to sew, remove your thread, lower the feed dogs, and just stitch trying to follow the lines. Much easier and helps your hands “build a memory” of your pattern.