Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting, Stitch Problems >

Free Motion Quilting, Stitch Problems

Free Motion Quilting, Stitch Problems

Old 08-20-2011, 10:32 PM

It could be the top tension is too loose, or the bobbin tendion is too tight (both draw the top thread to the back). Try tightening the top tension a little bit, test, then tighten a little more on a scrap quilt made up of the same batting and with the same fabrics and thread. This is a common occurrance for us with longarms, so we're always adjusting our tensions like this. Good luck!
Old 08-21-2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Great beginning. takes LOTS of practice. I would work on sample sandwiches first!
Normally a problem on the back means a tension problem with the needle, a problem on the front means tension issues with the bobbin. I think you need to tighten your tension to the needle. Also, curves are tricky and need to be done a bit slower. Even with great tension you can run into issues on curves if you go too fast.
Thanks for this tip. Even though I haven't tried FMQ yet, being forewarned is being forearmed.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by pscott392
Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Great beginning. takes LOTS of practice. I would work on sample sandwiches first!
Normally a problem on the back means a tension problem with the needle, a problem on the front means tension issues with the bobbin. I think you need to tighten your tension to the needle. Also, curves are tricky and need to be done a bit slower. Even with great tension you can run into issues on curves if you go too fast.
Thanks for this tip. Even though I haven't tried FMQ yet, being forewarned is being forearmed.
Absolutely, I am new to quilting and learning as I go. Being able to draw on the experience and talent of others has made it a great experience!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:13 AM

Mine looks like the first picture (or worse) when I forget to put my presser foot down. My machine has a half-down position for FMQ and it's not easy to tell if it's down or not. If I don't lower the foot, the tension disks do not engage.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:29 AM

These a good suggestions even if you FM on a sewing machine.
Thanks for posting the pics and asking the question.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:34 AM

I am very glad to hear from you and see your free motion!!! My looks just like yours!! It drives me crazy and I have not been able to get it right. I don't even attempt free motion at this point. I also have a Fab-U-Motion attachment for my Viking. The free motion looks the same way. It is not as easy as the lady on the DVD shows! The Fab-u-Motion is for sale if anyone is interested.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:38 AM

Thank you everyone for your advise. I had the same problem and ended up taking out every FM stitch on a baby quilt. I was on a quick deadline and did not need that frustration.

I found it was indeed my speed. I was hurrying the stitching. The front looked swell,but the back pretty crummy. Pick, pick,pick and then redo the whole thing. S-L-O-W-L-Y and kept the speed consistent and watched the curves. Take time and try not to change your rhythm and speed. I finished the FM quilting, checked the back and HUGE improvement. You all gave great advise. I suspect that we have all been there. :lol:

P.S. I did get it finished on time and had time to enjoy a good old movie while I finished the binding.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Cagey
These a good suggestions even if you FM on a sewing machine.
Thanks for posting the pics and asking the question.
Love the pic of your dog! Looks just like mine in the winter... she is shaved in the pic now because it is very hot here in New Mexico during the summer :)
Old 08-21-2011, 10:22 AM

2 suggestions. Clean out your bobbin case each time you refill it. Fabric dust/lint can create this problem.
Next make sure the machine is threaded correctly both the bobbin and upper thread. Either or both of these can cause this problem.
JeanneZ
Old 08-21-2011, 11:35 AM

No advice from me, just a BIG thanks for all the tips!!