Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting, Stitch Problems >

Free Motion Quilting, Stitch Problems

Free Motion Quilting, Stitch Problems

Old 08-21-2011, 12:39 PM

I'm just learning to FMQ and found the same problems, I tried everything. Fortunately my machine goes back to the original tension when it's shut off because I played and played with the tension. Although I do need to change the tension some, I found that my machine doesn't like the "Big Foot" for quilting, it likes the crafting foot. I was ready to give up and that was my last change. It had taken me 3 hrs. with the Big Foot and trying everything. As soon as I changed the foot, I finished the quilt (a mini for practice) in less than 30 min. and it looks great. As I keep telling myself....practice practice practice. So keep on practicing, and good luck.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:23 PM

If you need fabric to practice on, and I did, head for the nearest Goodwill Store, or any second-hand store like that. I came out with bundles of shirts, sheets, table linens, and the like, all for $20. It's probably stuff people would turn into rags, but I'm using it to make practice sandwiches, and it cost so little, that I don't mind just throwing them away when I'm done. This find was so terrific for a Newbie like me who has never done FMQ before, needs lots of practice, and is a quilter on a fabric budget. I am getting the piecing OK because I've always done sewing, but the FMQ is the Green Monster I still have to tame! But I'm getting better all the time. So if you need cheap, disposable fabric for your FMQ sandwiches, here's a tip on where to find it.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:46 PM

I get this alot and what eliminates it for me is to back about 3 yards of thread off the bobbin. Re-thread the machine and the bobbin. That usually takes care of it. That's on a brother PC420 anyway.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:11 PM

ube quilter: Please explain your 'zipper system". Thanks.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:49 PM

Do a google search for Leah day designs she has free tutorials that are very informative!
Old 08-21-2011, 05:59 PM

When you have railroad tracks and bird's nests on the back of your quilt, the top tension is too loose, and when you have the railroad tracks on the top, your bobbin is too loose.

Tension problems are the bane of quilter's existence! LA quilters work every time to balance their stitches because the perfect tension on every quilt is affected by the material used in the quilt, the batting, the thread on top and in the bobbin, and the tension of the quilt on the frame.

The only good thing about railroad tracks is that they are easy to frog! Hang in there, it does get better!!!
Old 08-21-2011, 06:26 PM

i believe you are moving your hands to fast take it a bit slower and moving the quilt but keep the same speed
Old 08-21-2011, 09:02 PM

I usually tell people that sewing whether piecing or quilting either free motion or stitching with the feed teeth up you have to obey the rules of the road. Always know the speed limit make sure that your vehicle is well tuned and slow down in the curves or to change directions. In this case you may not have to play with the tension if your straight lines are well formed but just need to obey the speed limit in the curves. If you are working on a frame or on a machine where you only drop the feed teeth you can still speed up the needle by changing the stitch length down to a lower number. Your stitches on the front did look a little long. But otherwise I think that you just need a little bit more practice and need to keep a consistent speed on both the hands and the foot pedal.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:32 AM

tighten the bobbin a little at a time.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:21 AM

I also use a Grace Frame. My Machine is a Juke 98QE. I have had the same problem. When doing a lot of curves I slow down and turn the needle tension tighter.