Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
free motion quilting >

free motion quilting

free motion quilting

Old 11-28-2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Grambi View Post
I had this trouble with my QE 4.0 on the last quilt I did. I think I broke at least six needles just FMQ the border. I'm pretty sure that it was my fault. I was using the single hole plate and was pulling a bit too much on my quilt causing the needle to hit the plate. I switched out plates and the problems improved but didn't go away completely. I still think that it was my pulling too hard but I went ahead and took it to my dealer for an annual cleaning and to have him check the issue out. Haven't picked it up yet, so don't have any suggestion other than to slow down your movement or speed up the needle speed a bit.
Just wanted to update: I picked my machine up this afternoon and the dealer didn't find anything wrong except that it was "really, really dirty". So will see how it does now when I get a chance to sew. I am pretty obsessive about cleaning out my bobbin area (taking out the bobbin case and cleaning everything reachable) every one or two bobbins. I find it so frustrating that we aren't able to clean further on our own. With the small amount of sewing and quilting that I've done in the past year, I would never have guessed that it was that bad. My husband tells me that we have some of those tiny vacuum attachments around the house somewhere. I'm going to start using those to try to clean better and hope that helps.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:44 PM

I have the same machine. I also have been having trouble with the thread breaking when I do free motion machine quilting. I have had it in to be looked at several times.....After cleaning it and replacing a part, it is still breaking threads. (And it is just your average 50 or 60 weight thread, nothing fancy...) I have been told I need to adjust the tension.....

I hope that works!! I'm trying to complete a Christmas gift.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:00 PM

Smile

To all who responded to my thread, thank you. I think I have solved my problem of breaking my needles. Someone from a long arm dealership suggested I use a size 16 or 18 needle. It has worked like a charm and I have just about finished my quilt. Down to the binding.