Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
free motion quilting >

free motion quilting

free motion quilting

Old 02-21-2016, 09:11 AM
RST

My experience and advice is going to disagree with some of the poster's above -- use the approach that works for you.

I don't use a lot of small sandwiches to practice. I do use them for trying out a new thread, evaluating a batting, or problem solving machine issues, but the actual learning is best done on a real quilt. I heard an instructor comment that learning to free motion on a little quilt sandwich is like learning to dance in a closet. you may be able to manage a few steps, but you really aren't getting the hand of it until you get out there and possess the floor. So when I was learning, I made a couple of quick, easy quilt tops out of charm squares or layer cakes. The fabric was pretty and busy and blended together well, which took the pressure off my quilting, as mistakes would blend in, and I could use a single color of thread. Then I just quilted those tops. Lots of breaks to relax and stretch. Lots of pushing through the parts I didn't like. But no ripping or un-sewing. Just keep going and see what works and what doesn't. I gave those quilts away, and while I don't love looking at them now (cringe a bit) the recipients love them and see nothing wrong with them.

I do not mark a design to follow. For me, that causes a lot of stress to try to stay on or near the line, and my stitching looks cramped and forced. Instead, I look at the overall quilt and think about a basic idea of how I would like to quilt reasonable sections of it. I may even sketch out a basic motif and variations on said motif. But then I just have at it and use the piecing as landmarks but otherwise free form it. My resulting quilting is much more fluid, smooth, organic and interesting.

I think the key pieces are support for the bulk of your project. For me, that means I lower my ironing board to be same level as my sewing machine table and place that to my left. I have a small folding table and some plastic bins I put on the other side of the machine (behind it) to take the weight of the quilt on that side.

I use needle down on my machine so that when I stop for a moment, I don't have the whole thing slide or pull.

I like using a grippy glove to help with keeping a secure hold on the quilt. I also do like using a mat to make the quilt glide more readily, specially when using a flannel backing.

I like using a finer bobbin thread for two reasons -- fewer bobbin changes and the quilting shows up beautifully as a textured pattern on the back, but without showing every wobbled stitch or backtrack. So my current favorite is Bottom line thread, but there are others. The spool may seem pricey, but look at how many yards are on the thing -- by the yard it's a great deal.

I always start a new quilt with a new needle. For some reason, FMQ wears my needles out (probably because you're not only putting a lot of stitches down, but there is also multi-directional pull or stress on the needle).

Have fun with it. I find FMQ to be the most enjoyable aspect of quilting. It wasn't for the first 2 or 3 quilts I did, but I now find it to be a great place to experience that enviable state of mind called "flow" -- where you are engaging brain and body completely but at an intuitive level very close to meditation. It's very much what my son describes feeling when he plays improvisational jazz, or some artists experience as they paint.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:01 AM

I agree with the teacher who told RST that free motion on a small sandwich is like dancing in a closet. I took several classes to learn fmq - only problem was instructors never mentioned how different it would be to transition to a large quilt. It takes lots of practice and patience. Don't give up, it gets better. I'm not great but improving.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:14 PM

I am really liking this guy--Rob Arpell--he works with Jenny Doan of Missouri Star Quilts--he has added a couple of follow--ups he explains what he is doing, offers suggestions, and demonstrates each step. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFbw1LAPZjg He offers the advice he got from Angela Walters to look at one block at a time instead of being overwhelmed by the huge quilt.

Last edited by MarleneC; 02-21-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:55 PM

I want to learn free motion, but am intimidated by it. Because I don't think I do it very well, I generally just go back to straight line quilting. I am determined to just go for it now and at least give it a try on the next couple of quilts. Most of my quilts go to charity so it should be a good place to start. I also need to take the time to practice, practice, practice!!
Old 02-21-2016, 09:32 PM

my favorite FM site is http://theinboxjaunt.com/ She has lots of tutorials and breaks designs down into easy to follow shapes. She is very encouraging!
Old 02-21-2016, 10:47 PM
Power Poster

I have been "practicing" FMQ designs on paper for a while. By repeating the pattern with pencil (or pen) on paper you develop muscle memory. I recently did my first feather on a table runner and I was AMAZED how much my feather looked like the ones I have been drawing for a while. There are great designs out there. I agree that Leah Day has some great tutorials.

For me, the loops was my first pattern, followed by loops with hearts - or loops with leaves - or loops with stars, or......

Just start doodling on a drawing pad and see what you come up with. HAVE FUNNNNNN!!!
Old 02-22-2016, 09:13 PM

I am beginning my journey to learn free motion quilting and it's hard getting started. I've looked at some good books, watched videos and taken a class. Still freezing up! Argh! So I am grateful I'm not alone in this. I see such beautifully stitched quilts and am encouraged by the helpfulness of folks here. Thanks. I keep going back to "Theinboxjaunt.com" she is taking me through the process slowly and I appreciate the pace. Hang in there.