Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
free motion quilting >

free motion quilting

free motion quilting

Old 02-20-2016, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by seazteddy View Post
I am working up courage to free motion quilt a small quilt but I'm not sure what or how to do it. Is there a tutorial that I watch to see how to do it. I only have a regular sewing machine, no long arm. any help would be appreciated.
Here's a Missouri Star Quilt (MSQ) tutorial. Runs about 23 minutes.

http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/beg...hine-quilting/
Old 02-20-2016, 11:28 AM

This 4-part tutorial by Heather Thomas helped me a lot:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLWFmOForjU

Also, Leah Day's videos are fantastic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFcI...1F4B76430BB141

For paid online classes, I've found the following sites helpful:
iQuilt (coupon code "1995" gives you the class for $19.95 + 20% off if you're an AQS member) - Cindy Seitz-Krug
https://www.iquilt.com/course/successful-machine-quilting-basic-beyond/

National Quilters Circle (new members get their first year for just $10, no commitment required)
Some classes on NQC are free, others are part of paid annual subscription, plus they sell other in-depth video tutorials. I've tried all 3 components & have found them all to be wonderful.
http://www.nationalquilterscircle.com/

CreativeBug.com (first 14 days are free + you get 1 free class for life, $7/month after that) -- Sue Nickels
https://www.creativebug.com/classser...uilting-basics
Old 02-20-2016, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

All great suggestions so far. For me, it takes a lot of practice, and, I can feel the "sweet spot" when my machine and my hands are in sync. I'm not always there, but, with practice, it gets better. Don't forget to practice!!!!!

PS. I do all my FMQ on a basic mechanical Brother machine. A plastic wonder, but, it is great.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:19 PM

Oh, also, it makes it a LOT easier in the beginning if you mark out your design (and pick a big one to start with -- maybe a 1.5-2.5" meander). I personally love the Crayola Ultra Clean crayons & markers, but you can use the more expensive marking tools found in quilt shops/craft stores if you prefer. Also, 50wt cotton thread that matches the background will help hide any minor stitching goofs. I only pull out stitching if the stitches didn't form properly; it means imperfect quilts, but more time to actually practice my FMQ skills.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:44 PM

Leah Day is wonderful for teaching FMQ. I also took a Craftsy class which was really helpful. I am not at home, but when I am I will look up the name of the instructor because she was great.
For me doing FMQ is just practicing over and over on a quilt sandwich (or 6 ) to do different shapes, meandering and then get so I can go from one to the other. Use contrasting thread. I also find that if I draw lines on my practice piece and then attempt to keep my shapes between the lines it helps me with my sizing. As an example I will draw two lines 1 inch apart and do circles between them or start the lines one incha apart and make them widen so my circles (or whatever) have to get bigger too. Another practice thing is to draw a 4 inch square and fill it with pebbles.
Remember to draw up your bobbin thread before you start and try to get it out of the way.
Using gloves makes a big difference, as mentioned and I always snip the end off the index finger so I can still thread the needle etc.
Have fun and just get started. You will do great!

Watson
Old 02-20-2016, 03:37 PM

Leah Day has many you-tube videos and her website also has so much free, helpful information. She gives info you need from step one. I would never have been able to FMQ without her instructions. Whatever you decide to do, I hope you will look at some of the resources that have been mentioned here before you jump in. Other wise , I'm afraid you will just end up frustrated and thinking you can't do it. You can FMQ with the right instructions.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:42 AM

I had the pleasure of taking a class with Leah Day last spring and she is terrific... she takes such a laid back approach to FMQ. She had us come to class with a dozen 10-12 inch sandwich blocks made up of solid fabric colors (so we could see our stitches) and we practiced different FMQ patterns in each block. From time to time I still practice using the same block ideas just to keep my skills up. Angela Walters is also a good instructor and she too, has a Craftsy class.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:41 AM

So far I can only do meander, I like the way the quilts look when done. I am practicing for other patterns. I think I am going to make all my sandwiches the same size out of cute material and bind them for placemats! I make enough practice pieces....should get some use out of them!
Old 02-21-2016, 06:24 AM

There are tutorials all over you tube, etc. Leah Day has a whole site on it, from beginning to end. She also sells books, cd, etc on it. Not sure where you live but you could possibly find classes on it too.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:54 AM

When I started FMQ, I just did stippling. After many many many years, I have 'advanced' to doing loops and swirls....will push myself to do feathers next. It is absolutely a practice practice practice slow slow slow process for me. I have had good results. So, don't be 'fraidy-cat. watch some videos and practice small. You will get it!