Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Free-Standing Quilt Display at a Craft Show?

MTS
    Banned
    OK, I had to stop by HD anyway this evening (where they have cut PVC pipe for me before for numerous non-quilting related projects).

The unofficial policy at the one closest to me is.....if the guy working in the department feels like it, he'll cut it.
    I guess I've just always been lucky.
    Go figure.
    And I go late on weekdays- 7-8PM.
    I'm guessing Saturday afternoon would probably would get me a big fat "no way."

Quote Originally Posted by MTS View Post
    OK, I had to stop by HD anyway this evening (where they have cut PVC pipe for me before for numerous non-quilting related projects).

The unofficial policy at the one closest to me is.....if the guy working in the department feels like it, he'll cut it.
    I guess I've just always been lucky.
    Go figure.
    And I go late on weekdays- 7-8PM.
    I'm guessing Saturday afternoon would probably would get me a big fat "no way."
    Thanks so much for the research! We don't have a saw, but I'm thinking I probably know at least one person that does. I think I can fit 10' in my car if it's necessary, for the short 15 minute drive home. I'm excited, but I'll hold off on getting the parts until I know whether or not the show accepted me!
    - Kim

kimkolbquilts.etsy.com

I think the PVC pipe rack would suit your purposes. It's cheap to build and easy to transport.

Blog Entries
    I've done craft shows and would suggest you contact them to see if you "can" be placed against a wall area. If that's not possible, ask you are "able" to display something that high up. Some shows don't want displays taking away from customers looking across the hall (if that makes sense). But the folded door / room divider type idea would work perfectly.

Good luck at your show!!
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

One quilt display idea is to set a straight chair on top of a table, drape your whole quilt over it & let the point hang down below the table top(arrange it so it forms a V using one corner. The whole quilt covers the chair, tuck the rest in the back. It will be eye level for everyone to see -still have room on table top to put other items. Also a wooden folding clothes rack works to display alot of items too & it would fit in your car. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Golfergal; 09-12-2012 at 06:46 AM.

I'm thinking the PVC frame can be made as a box, or maybe A-Frame for stability and 2 sided?

Go to the local thrift store and buy a folding dryer.....made of wood with dowells that you hang clothes to dry on when its raining outside......probably be able to find one for much less than 20$$$;; Then fold up and hide away in the closet in case you need to dry undies or clothes.

delma

Quote Originally Posted by delma_paulk View Post
    Go to the local thrift store and buy a folding dryer.....made of wood with dowells that you hang clothes to dry on when its raining outside......probably be able to find one for much less than 20$$$;; Then fold up and hide away in the closet in case you need to dry undies or clothes.

delma
    I have a clothes dryer that folds up like that, but the ones I've seen are far too small. I have quilt racks (same size, not collapsable) for my smaller quilts, but I need something that will display a 7.5' square quilt like a curtain, so I'm thinking the PVC pipe rack is for me. I priced it out at the Home Depot - $4.81 for a 10' piece of PVC (1.5"), and I'd need 4 pieces total. Plus about $10.50 for the connectors and end caps brings me to about $32 with tax, which I can live with, though I might try 1.25" diameter to see if it gets significantly cheaper.

I'll let you all know if / when I make it!
    - Kim

kimkolbquilts.etsy.com

This rack system looks so easy to assemble - it's brilliant! Thank you for sharing. In a pinch, I sometimes used an artist's easel....just draped the quilt over it. Invites folks to come and touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by MTS View Post
    My vote as well. Inexpensive, portable and collapsible.

A quick Google search brought this up first:
    http://www.quiltfrog.com/QuiltDisplayRack.html

Looks easy enough - especially since HD or Lowe's will cut the pipes to size for you.
    I've been meaning to build one so I can take pictures of my quilts - straight on, without people's fingers in the corner, balancing off off balconies or porches.

Blog Entries
    I use the hanging strips by 3M, you stick one sticky side to the wall and the other to the quilt then push them together. The front of the sticky side is velcro and they hold really well and come in different strengths. I use them to hold pictures as well as quilts and they do not leave any kind of residue on the wall or your quilt. You can get them at Joann's, Hobby Lobby or Michaels and I am sure any store like Target, KMart or Walmart carry them. If they will hold a large picture they will certainly hold a large quilt and they work really well when I change mine around for the various seasons.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

We used a rolling chalkboard to display a quilt on. Maybe the Y has one?
    psumom

An old drying rack may work...the one I have folds into thirds and has 3 rungs on it. You have gotten some other good suggestions! Have a great sale!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by x7lillies View Post
    Is there any structure design in particular you find to be more sturdy? Can you see the PVC when the quilt is hanging?
    My quilting group uses PVC pipe to display all of our quilts at our Fall Fair each year, We pin some of the quilts on or lay them across parts of the pipe- we also must display in a cinder tile room.

Quote Originally Posted by judykay View Post
    I use the hanging strips by 3M, you stick one sticky side to the wall and the other to the quilt then push them together. The front of the sticky side is velcro and they hold really well and come in different strengths. I use them to hold pictures as well as quilts and they do not leave any kind of residue on the wall or your quilt. You can get them at Joann's, Hobby Lobby or Michaels and I am sure any store like Target, KMart or Walmart carry them. If they will hold a large picture they will certainly hold a large quilt and they work really well when I change mine around for the various seasons.
    Good idea! Those are certainly cheaper than PVC, but that doesn't really help me if I'm in the middle of the room.
    - Kim

kimkolbquilts.etsy.com

Quote Originally Posted by psumom View Post
    We used a rolling chalkboard to display a quilt on. Maybe the Y has one?
    Also a good suggestion! I'll ask them if I'm in the show.
    - Kim

kimkolbquilts.etsy.com

Hello again, everyone!

I got a letter in the mail today letting me know that I've been accepted to the show (my first one!), so it looks like you'll all get to see how my PVC rack turns out!
    - Kim

kimkolbquilts.etsy.com

Thanks for all your suggestions for X7lillies. I will have a booth at The World's Largest Christmas Bazaar and I am trying to decide how to display the things I will be selling.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I have one of these and I use it more than I ever thought I would.

http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-P...5uqb0KJSDKB_tt

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Quote Originally Posted by x7lillies View Post
    Hello again, everyone!

I got a letter in the mail today letting me know that I've been accepted to the show (my first one!), so it looks like you'll all get to see how my PVC rack turns out!
    Great news Kim. Remind us when the date gets closer. I will try to get to the show this year.
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

Ok, so it's been a while for this thread, but I thought I'd update everyone! I ended up using this design for the PVC quilt stand:

http://www.quiltfrog.com/QuiltDisplayRack.html

It cost me $32.20 at the Home Depot, and they cut the pieces for me so all I had to do was assemble it! I used 1' pieces on either side of the t-joint for the legs, 3.75' sections going up the sides, and 7.5' cross bars. The quilt should cover most of the stand, though a little bit of white might peak out the sides. I don't think I'll bother with painting it for this show, but maybe in the future at some point.

I talked with the show coordinator and I managed to get a wall spot with electricity, so hooray! I tried to set up the rack in my apartment to show you all the rack with and without the quilt on it, but my ceilings are too low! So now I have to set it up outside some weekend day when it's nice out. I'll be sure to post the pictures!
    - Kim

kimkolbquilts.etsy.com

MTS
    Banned
    Glad it worked out for you .
    Good luck!

I'd been asked to remind this thread when my craft show got closer, so here I go. It's on December 1, which is 3 weeks from this Saturday (yikes for me...I really need to get my rear in gear!):

It's the Eastside YMCA's Crafts for a Cause craft show in Penfield, NY:
    http://rochesterymca.org/craftsforacause

That link has information about hours, date, location, and even has a list of vendors so you can decide if you want to go. I'm still working on getting a picture of my quilt on the rack, but I've been sidetracked lately with baby showers, secret santa, inventory making, and life in general. At the very least, there will be a picture of the quilt up at the show, but I'll try and get one of just the rack and the quilt (this will have to be outside, though, so let's hope the weather cooperates).
    - Kim

kimkolbquilts.etsy.com

just a thought but how about making a ladder with pvc pipeif you need extra strength through the middle insert some wood dowels.

Hello again! To close out this thread, I'm posting a picture of the finished product for hanging the quilt. It's a picture of it at my craft booth, since my living room is too low to set it up inside. It worked really well, although I wouldn't recommend it for an outdoor show.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Kim

kimkolbquilts.etsy.com

Blog Entries
    Kim. Nobody mentioned asking schools or village halls. They may have these for another time .if it is outside a gazebo which pops up instead of sides quilts. And stall underneath so you are in the shade or dry.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast