Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Freezer paper and having way too much fun >

Freezer paper and having way too much fun

Freezer paper and having way too much fun

Old 11-05-2011, 10:53 PM

sounds cool.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:19 AM

Another way that works for me(all thumbs) is freezer paper is ironed to wrong side of applique fabric. Cut the applique out leaving 1/4 inch aroun the freezer paper/ applique. I use glue stick to glue 1/4 inch or less to back side of the paper. I leave the paper on or in the fabric to applique to background fabric. After all applique work is done I open the back side of foundation fabric under the applique. I soak the whole block in warn water and the glue releases the freezer paper. I remove the paper and trim the backgroung fabric to just a little more than 1/4 inch. Or the slit can be slip stitched shut after removing freezer paper and ironed dry. Hope this makes sense.Got this from an applique book.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:35 AM

Haven't done any applique because I was afraid of it. Then I run across this post. There are so many beautiful designs out there but not quite understanding what do to with the freezer paper. Do you cut out the shape of the applique piece on the freezer paper (minus a very small amount of the fabric to turn under) and leave the paper inside between the applique piece and the foundation fabric? Could someone explain? Maybe then I'll get the nerve up to try it!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by KimS View Post
Haven't done any applique because I was afraid of it. Then I run across this post. There are so many beautiful designs out there but not quite understanding what do to with the freezer paper. Do you cut out the shape of the applique piece on the freezer paper (minus a very small amount of the fabric to turn under) and leave the paper inside between the applique piece and the foundation fabric? Could someone explain? Maybe then I'll get the nerve up to try it!
Yes, leave it in while you sew down thw applique piece. I found it was easier for a newbe ( like me}to applique. Hope it works for you.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:08 AM

I mark my patterns on my background fabric. I then trace my patterns onto my freezer paper. I then place it on my background fabric and needle turn my fabric under the freezer paper. Somethimes I leave it in and remove from the back after appliqueing it on but most of the time I remove it with tweezers just before I finish the shape. Works for me and saves the steps of applying glue and then having to wash it out. I found this is so much faster. Have been doing it this way for years.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:27 PM

Hey Ya'll-
I wanted to say how wonderful this board is. We can use so many different ways to applique. I have thought about leaving the freezer paper in & cutting it out when it is sewn in, but 90% of the time i will not sew the applique down until I am quilting. So what I do is 'appliquilt." After the applique is quilted down I will do the rest of the quilting.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by DeAnne-Mn. View Post
Yes, leave it in while you sew down thw applique piece. I found it was easier for a newbe ( like me}to applique. Hope it works for you.
So do you remove the freezer paper when there's only a couple of inches left to stitch down?
Old 11-06-2011, 01:49 PM

I use the fan fold method for multiple copies, but I will switch to Alex Anderson's method of pressing layers together
Old 11-06-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Joy Higdon View Post
I mark my patterns on my background fabric. I then trace my patterns onto my freezer paper. I then place it on my background fabric and needle turn my fabric under the freezer paper. Somethimes I leave it in and remove from the back after appliqueing it on but most of the time I remove it with tweezers just before I finish the shape. Works for me and saves the steps of applying glue and then having to wash it out. I found this is so much faster. Have been doing it this way for years.
If you applique the piece onto the background fabric how do you remove the freezer paper from the backside?
Old 11-06-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by KimS View Post
If you applique the piece onto the background fabric how do you remove the freezer paper from the backside?
I forgot to add that after tracing the pattern onto my freezer I them iron it onto the wrong side of my fabric. If I don't remove the paper just before I completely applique the whole shape onto my background, I cut a small slit in the background fabric behind the shape and use tweezers to remove it.