Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
freezer paper question >

freezer paper question

freezer paper question

Old 01-07-2010, 09:03 AM

I just watched the video and you rip out the paper after you sew your piece on. it shows cutting away a piece behind the appliqued piece and pulling the paper out.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Elisabrat
Ok, at the risk of sounding dumb and not really caring.. I am going to try to applique using the freezer paper method. What happens to the freezer paper once you sew it inside? (this is what the video on youtube shows?).. when you wash it does it stay the same? disolve? become a big lump? inquiring minds. I think it was the cuttingthreads applique lesson I watched. And having to go out and get freezer paper.. is it easy to figure out which is the "waxy" side? on the reynolds site it says plastic freezer paper.. is it plastic? or is that a whole different type of kitchen freezer paper than what they showed? I would rather figure this out now than AFTER I make something. Then it would be a DUMB should have thought of asking question. Thanks!
Once you have sewn your piece on, you cut away the back of the fabric, inside the seams of course, and pull the paper out. That's how we were taught in class using freezer paper.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:31 AM

I watched the tutorial just now and at the end, after appliqueing the piece by hand or machine, she turned it over and cut a small piece out of the back fabric. Then she pulled the paper piece out. This was at the very end of the tutorial.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:16 PM

I have been working on an applique project. I'm using a blanket stitch, and the freezer paper was extremely difficult to remove. I would only use freezer paper if I'm doing satin stitch or some other very short stitch.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by roselady
If you don't want to snip the back to get the freezer paper out, you can sew around 80%, more or less, of the appliqued piece, then pull out the paper through the small gap you have yet to sew down. Hope that helps.
This is what I do too, but I stitch most of the way around the appliqued piece, and when I have about 4 to 5 more stitches left to do, I use a pair of hemostats and loosen the freezer paper from the applique, then grab the paper with the hemostats and just pull it out. Almost like using forceps for birthing... :| I really don't like to cut the back out behind the appliqued piece, unless I have several layers being appliqued one on top of another and it gets too bulky.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:01 AM

I use freezer paper to do hand applique all of the time. It is my favorite method. I cut the freezer paper template, iron it on the back of the fabric. Cut around the template, leaving a scant 1/4 inch seam allowance. I use my needle to turn under the seam allowance and start stiching. I gives me a crisp, smooth edge to stitch. When I get about an inch from where I started, I take tweesers and loosen the freezer paper from the fabric after I have finger pressed under the seam allowance. I remove the freezer paper and continue stitching on the finger pressed line. I have taken a number of classes on hand applique but I always seem to go back to this method. I haven't done machine applique yet; but since I have a new "sewing computer", I am anxious to try it. I will most likely use some type of fusible web under the fabric when I get around to doing the machine version.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:39 AM

I am just beginning to REALLY use applique - I have done machine applique in the past and love the one sided fusible webbing - sew right sides together, small slit in the webbing and turn it right side out - iron it on and sew around. I have used freezer paper one other time but look forward to using it again - outlining the pattern and cutting 1/4 inch larger and folding under. I do like the thought of pulling it out rather than slitting the fabric... thanks so much for all methods!! This is very helpful!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:09 AM

This makes sense to me !! :)> I will try it this wway thanks.

Originally Posted by Barbie
I use freezer paper to do hand applique all of the time. It is my favorite method. I cut the freezer paper template, iron it on the back of the fabric. Cut around the template, leaving a scant 1/4 inch seam allowance. I use my needle to turn under the seam allowance and start stiching. I gives me a crisp, smooth edge to stitch. When I get about an inch from where I started, I take tweesers and loosen the freezer paper from the fabric after I have finger pressed under the seam allowance. I remove the freezer paper and continue stitching on the finger pressed line. I have taken a number of classes on hand applique but I always seem to go back to this method. I haven't done machine applique yet; but since I have a new "sewing computer", I am anxious to try it. I will most likely use some type of fusible web under the fabric when I get around to doing the machine version.