Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
freezer paper >

freezer paper

freezer paper

Old 02-18-2015, 09:27 AM

Default freezer paper

Hello............I know someone out there has the answer to this. I sent my DH to the grocery store for freezer paper. I have not used it before but decided to try working with this. He came home with "Reynolds Freezer Paper Plastic Coated. Is this the right stuff?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:29 AM

Yes. The plastic side is the one that will stick to fabric when you iron it.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

Yes, that's it. Make your stitches very small, that way it will rip off more easily when you are done.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:37 AM

Lol I assumed she was using the freezer paper for applique.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

I had to pull my box down my from the fridge to see what is printed on the box. I never noticed that it states PLASTIC COATED on the box. Yes, he did get you the right stuff.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by SoftBlockLady View Post
Hello............I know someone out there has the answer to this. I sent my DH to the grocery store for freezer paper. I have not used it before but decided to try working with this. He came home with "Reynolds Freezer Paper Plastic Coated. Is this the right stuff?
Kudos to your DH...."he dun good"!!!! I have to admit....that is not something i would have sent my DH to the store for....Love the man to the moon and back....but lordy knows what the result would have been.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:55 AM

Unless you intend to use freezer paper for the flip and sew paper piecing method and NOT sew through it...I would suggest copy paper or newsprint. This "stuff" is pretty sturdy and has many uses but sewing through it and trying to tear it away...would not be a choice i would make.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:57 AM

I don't want to hijack this post but I've got a dumb question--or twelve (thanks for the original question SoftBlockLady, because I have never been able to find freezer paper in my local stores. Guess I wasn't looking for the right thing) How do you know which side has the plastic? If you iron on the wrong side of the paper, will it stick to the iron? Does your iron setting have to be lowered? Can you put this stuff thru a printer and if so, which side would you print on? And any other hints would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 02-18-2015, 10:04 AM

For Ginger....
it is easy to see which side is waxed....it is shiny and the other side is not
you iron the waxy side to whatever you want it to stick to.
dry iron - med/high setting is what i use
nothing will will happen if you iron on the wrong side....it is just waxed paper
NO printer for me --- any printer that heats the paper will make a mess because the heated freezer paper will stick. HOWEVER.... i have ironed fabric to the freezer paper in an 8 1/2 x 11 size to then run through my printer so that i could print a picture i wanted to embroider on the fabric. I think you can put it through printers that don't heat the paper.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:07 AM

I find Reynold's freezer paper is readily available, the shiny side is fairly obviously the plastic side and yes it will mess up your iron and ironing board big time is not used with care. You can print on it but only on the "dull" paper side and the curl ( as it comes off the roll) is an issue. You can buy special freezer paper that is created for copying but you can also iron freezer paper to copy paper, carefully trim it and run it through your copier, making sure the dull side is the right side for the toner. Be sure that there is a tight bond with both papers on the feeding edge to prevent it from delaminating and jamming your printer. Try sticking two copy paper sheets together with a glue stick to be sure your printer can handle the thickness, but it should work flawlessly. Some even just uncurl the paper and use it as is....your choice.