Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Freezing Fabric >

Freezing Fabric

Freezing Fabric

Old 06-25-2022, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
I don't wash my fabric. I like the 'sizing' in it when I'm cutting and quilting with it, as it frays less. Not to mention less work - no washing, no starching, no ironing etc. before using. Plus, if I froze my fabric (if I washed it before using) I would need multiple industrial room size freezers to contain my fabric.

My mom never put her ironing in the freezer or fridge, but we (sisters and me, and mom) always used Niagara Spray starch. I probably ironed hundreds of pillow cases/sheets, handkerchiefs plus regular clothes. I was so happy when permeant press clothes came out, and mixed fabric bedding that didn't wrinkle like the cotton ones!
I don't wash my sewing fabric, either, unless it's linen. But I do use a spritzing of Best Press because most usually need some ironing. LOL about the amount of freezer space you'd need!

I have to say, I do not care for synthetic fabrics, even blends. I still prefer 100% cotton sheets (although a perma press shirt is helpful). When my children were little, it was so hard to find all cotton clothing. I'm talking 1980s here.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:15 AM

When I was growing up, we'd sprinkle the newly washed/dried clothes, mainly my Dad's white shirts and hankies, roll them up, put them into a plastic bag and throw them into the fridge until one of us kids ironed them. Usually me as I was the youngest and last one left in the house of the siblings. We used the old time sprinkling bottle which of course you no longer see or able to get from what I know though I've never tried to search for it.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
my mother in law used to put the ironing in the refrigerator until she got to it
My Mom did also!! Especially the napkins and table linens. And we can't forget those 100% cotton button down collar shirts as well
Old 06-26-2022, 11:12 AM

My SIL used to put damp cloth in her refridgerator. She said she did it to prevent the fabric getting moldy before she go to ironing it.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

Fabric could and would get moldy/mildewed if left in a refrigerator long enough.

Putting sprinkled "to be ironed" items in the freezer was much "safer" -
Old 06-26-2022, 03:51 PM

Yes, I still sprinkle some of my shirts, put them in the fridge for ironing the next day.
Most of them dont need it. I dry my good shirts for 5 minutes to take out wrinkles, take them out damp and hang them up.
never have a problem with work clothes.