Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
French Braid  Construction Skills >

French Braid Construction Skills

French Braid Construction Skills

Old 05-11-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
In your other post, you mention the bali pops being cut wrong. if the strips varied in size, that would throw your alignment off. Seam width variations would also do the same. Did you use a book/pattern? My book mentioned how to align the strips.

I still think it looks great!
They were cut crooked, but that wasn't the problem because I have a little see-through vinyl 6" ruler with which I measured EVERYTHING before and after I sewed, so they were pretty darned accurate. I just had a bummer of a time getting points aligned on the separator bands when it was time to put it all together. I'm seeing some good info. coming in about that, though.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by weezie
In your other post, you mention the bali pops being cut wrong. if the strips varied in size, that would throw your alignment off. Seam width variations would also do the same. Did you use a book/pattern? My book mentioned how to align the strips.

I still think it looks great!
They were cut crooked, but that wasn't the problem because I have a little see-through vinyl 6" ruler with which I measured EVERYTHING before and after I sewed, so they were pretty darned accurate. I just had a bummer of a time getting points aligned on the separator bands when it was time to put it all together. I'm seeing some good info. coming in about that, though.
Another thing that may have happened is that it could have stretched on the bias in places. When I did mine, I didn't handle it as gently as I should have and it did seem a little wavy in places. I have a habit of hanging things while working on them. Probably not a good idea with this pattern. It worked out fine though. I think yours looks great. Once you quilt and wash it, it will crinkle up a little any imperfections won't be noticable to others. :)
Old 05-11-2010, 03:19 PM

Another thing that may have happened is that it could have stretched on the bias in places. When I did mine, I didn't handle it as gently as I should have and it did seem a little wavy in places. I have a habit of hanging things while working on them. Probably not a good idea with this pattern. It worked out fine though. I think yours looks great. Once you quilt and wash it, it will crinkle up a little any imperfections won't be noticable to others. :)
Thanks! Actually, after making adjustments, there's only 1 flaw left that I know of ... a very little pouffy area that does not want to lay flat ... I first noticed when I spread it out on the floor to take its picture. I think it's a minor boo-boo that will quilt out fine.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:31 PM

Please post a picture once you quilt it! We all love to admire and get inspired by other people's quilts! :)
Old 05-11-2010, 03:36 PM

I had someone tell me that quilts with imperfctions make them one of a kind. A quilt will never be perfect. The only thing in life that is perfect is God
Old 05-11-2010, 03:49 PM

Please post a picture once you quilt it! We all love to admire and get inspired by other people's quilts! :)
I will, but I have a big backlog of unquilted tops. I've recently had to dismantle my Grace frame and store it away, along with my mid-arm machine so my unemployed son could come back home to live.

You mentioned earlier that your book tells how to align the strips/separator bands. I bet we have copies of the same book. Maybe next time, I'll actually follow the instructions (pp 26 & 27) instead of "winging" it. That'll probably work out better.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:08 PM

Thanks! Actually, after making adjustments, there's only 1 flaw left that I know of ... a very little pouffy area that does not want to lay flat ... I first noticed when I spread it out on the floor to take its picture. I think it's a minor boo-boo that will quilt out fine.
I have found that when I have a place that is kind of pouffy, if I hold the steam iron over it a few seconds it will flatten out a bit. Also, if you spay starch it lightly, that also works. You don't have to iron it, just spray and pat down.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:18 PM

I will, but I have a big backlog of unquilted tops. I've recently had to dismantle my Grace frame and store it away, along with my mid-arm machine so my unemployed son could come back home to live.

You mentioned earlier that your book tells how to align the strips/separator bands. I bet we have copies of the same book. Maybe next time, I'll actually follow the instructions (pp 26 & 27) instead of "winging" it. That'll probably work out better.
I hear you about the tops. I decided to mainly focus on the tops while it's summer. Too hot to work under the bulk of a quilt in the FL summer. Plus I have to set up/dismantle for meals, so it's inconvenient most times to stop in the middle of quilting. I gave up my sewing room for FIL once MIL died - so the dining table is my sewing room. Almost got the porch...but moved too slowly. I got it cleaned up and hubby moved some excercise equipment out there. :( Maybe I'll just dump his stuff outside! LOL
Old 05-11-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I have the book but haven't looked at the instructions. I have made the French Braid using this method. Is it the same as in the book?
http://www.quiltbug.com/Free/table-topper.htm
Basically the same, I think, BellaBoo. The book gives braid trimming instructions "without separator bands", which look the same as the table topper. There are different instructions for "with separator bands" ... you sew the braid strips to the bands and then trim off the "ears".
Old 05-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Google Goddess

wow, cool thread, thanks, we learn from each other