Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: French Braid Quilt Top

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Canada - Coolidge, AZ
    I just made a scrappy braid quilt by following the pattern here http://quiltville.blogspot.ca/2005/0...d-borders.html. This is for a border but I made a quilt with 5 strips & sashing between the strips. My friend is making one now & this will be her 1st quilt. Go for it! This pattern is great for a beginner.

There's some great advice that others have given. One other hint I could add is this: when you're putting your braids down to match up and pin, DO NOT pick up one end and flip it (like you would sheets) to move it. This will stretch them out, and this movement is an unconscious move that we all make I think to straighten out quilt tops and sections. Other than being careful of the bias stretching, just pay attention to the details and you'll end up with a very nice quilt. (p.s. after I made mine, I gave the book away!!)

jaciqltznok, I knew before I went to the tute that that was the one you had linked to! I just did one of those & it was so easy! Thanks auntpiggylpn for posting the tute I posted for the runner. It's really simple also. Ya'll beat me to the posts! Granny, try both these. Or one of them. You'll like the results!

Oh! A little hint on working with bias....starch the piece first, then cut. Helps to retain shape.

Here's another Missouri Star demonstration of making a friendship braid:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dn_4vTxwfk

I have cut and pieced this type of quilt using 60 degree half hexagons. It went together easy enough, but I used precut charms. I got a full hexagon out of each square and went through 2 packs of charms without having the braids long enough for a lap quilt. When I went to buy another package of charms my LAQ was out and couldn't get any more!!! Needless to say it sits on my shelf until I figure out what to do with it! Maybe table runner...hmmm.

GrannyH, look on Mirkwood Designs website. They have one using jelly rolls and the template to cut it. I am doing one of these now and am loving the way it's turning out. With this one, you don't have the zig-zag edges, causing you have to trim off of the sides and waste quite a bit of fabric. It goes together quickly and is very easy. I looked forever to find a pattern where there wouldn't be so much waste and this one meets the bill!

Great tutorial!! Now I don't have to read the book or pattern because (you know...) to read the manual is an admission of failure. I wonder how many other quilters resist the reading part?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leighway View Post
    Great tutorial!! Now I don't have to read the book or pattern because (you know...) to read the manual is an admission of failure. I wonder how many other quilters resist the reading part?
    That's why I like pictures! I am more visual; sometimes the written part just isn't clear to me!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Thanks, BKrenning...I was just going to make the comment that I'm going to starch the heck out of my bias edges before I cut. I think I'll try the tablerunner first, too. My first quilt was made at a mystery quilt retreat...wish I would have started with the rail fence, too!

I read through the directions for the destashification table runner and liked the idea of sewing it to a foundation as she said that this would help reduce the bias problem. http://destashification.com/2011/10/...-the-tutorial/

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    This works great and I have used the half hexie tool also for this same pattern. Also from MSQC

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
    check this video out.....I can't keep this tool in stock...(though right now I have a new order of 6)

this is crazy fast and fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpHAp_pyVXQ
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2