Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: French braid

Blog Entries

French braid

I found a French braid type quilt that I would like to try. My problem is that it seems to be all set-in seams. To me, that seems to add a lot of bulk, and would be very time consuming. Does anyone know of a simple(r) way to obtain the look, without all those seams?

I think the usual answer is to make it sort of like a log cabin, start with a triangle and then one piece to the end, then the next piece. Typically you would use strips and then cut it along the sides.

This seems to be a pretty good example, it doesn't show you making long rows and then connecting them together.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov9HVgvGV60

I do have a pattern for the harder/more traditional version from back when I was collecting ties. The lady who sent me it did it as hand work and the set in seams weren't an issue for her.

Blog Entries
    Iíve done many French braid quilts, itís one of my go- to patterns. Iíve never done a set in seam....
    french braid quilts are fun, even for beginners. I recommend the book ( French Braid Quilts) by Jane Hardy Miller
    Attached Images Attached Images
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Gay
    Blog Entries
    If you didn't have all those seams you wouldn't have a braided quilt.

Are you looking at a Broken Herringbone quilt. This video makes it rather simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMHGzRK2nEA
    Last edited by Gay; 11-17-2018 at 01:50 PM.

I've only done a few french braids and they did not have set in seams. The piecing is more like Seminole piecing where you are sewing squares and rectangles and trimming off the zig zag edges.

But if this pattern is different, set in seams really are not difficult at all, fussy yes but only at first, difficult, no. Once you have done a couple of them you will wonder why you dreaded and avoided them at all costs. I feel knowing how to do them is an invaluable tool in your quilting know how arsenal. Many patterns require them and you can't do a mitered border without knowing how to do a set in seam (aka Y seam).

The French braid quilts I've seen and made did not require set-in seams. Even if they did, I don't think that would mean extra bulk. As feline points out, they are not difficult, and not very time consuming once you get some practice.

There is a french braid quilt on this board in the tutorial section. I have made a couple of them and are fun to make. No set in seams.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Haven't made one, but the LSQ demo'd using the Binding Tool ruler as ruler for French Braid similar to ckcowl's.

Eleanor Burns has a great way of making a braid quilt. I took a class with her. Get the pattern. It comes with the tool to use and is made with 2 1/2 inch strips.

I made a French braid quilt, California king size. It had seven braids. The hardest part was getting up each time I did a seam to press it, which is why I did a piece on each braid,then pressed all seven braids before adding the next one. used a jelly roll, three of them, cut pieces eight inches, with a twelve inch triangle at the top. Fun to do, especially as the braid grows. Working on a small braid now for a sweatshirt jacket with six braids, four by one and a half inches, same method.

Maybe try looking at Missouri Star Quilting Co. They have a braid and a tool too. I know the table runner one is quick and fun.
    They also have a different braid using the half-hexie template. Lots of different projects using it.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Blog Entries
    I think you are thinking about set-in seams because you are seeing the 'braids' added from top. They are added at bottom so it is straight seams.

I also made one of these and it didn't have set in seams. But, I forgot that once I trimmed it, all those edges would be bias! I quilted the life out of it, but if I did it again, I would stay stitch the sides before I trimmed.
    Alyce

A more than a decade ago I bought a couple of yards of printed backing for making braids. It was fun and easy. I especially wanted to use some two decade old polyester shirt factory cut-aways and the muslin stabilized the synthetics beautifully. I am sorry to say, I don't remember the company and I was on a road trip when I visited the shop.

Gee, this isn't very helpful.....

The hardest part for me about French braids is picking out the colors I want to use !

I made my braid using the binding tool from MSQC as well as following the tutorial, no set in seams. I didn't like it in the end because I chose the wrong fabric! Nothing worse than wasting fabric and it was batik, ugh!
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Blog Entries
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries

klswift has the right idea, you don't work down the braid you work up the braid, adding to the top. No y seams. The hardest part for me was not pressing the braids out of alignment and creating a S in the braid chain. In the end, there's alot of triangles trimmed from the sides.

Blog Entries
    Now that the QB is fixed I will try this again.

Here, I hope is a simple tutorial which is a fun pattern to make.

https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutori...l-t287125.html

I have made two huge braid quilts so far using scraps but this could be used with specific colors too. Have fun and enjoy the creating.

Name:  DSC07816.JPG
Views: 318
Size:  306.6 KB

peace

Most braid quilt patterns have you cut the edges of the braid straight to assemble, which makes it easy; however, if you are wanting the braid effect throughout without the distinct straight edge between braids, then the set-in seams (y-seams) is the only way that I am aware of to achieve this. Obviously, time-consuming but stunning if you get the colorway right. Here is one that is pretty cool..

https://www.google.com/search?source...690JG6jX9eX_M:
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Blog Entries
    Hi Teen, I looked at the link you posted and if you take a close look at the one quilt that looks intertwined, there is an optical illusion going on. Each side of the strip is a different color, Still done in strips and edges are cut to join them together. That is if I am looking at the right quilt. I looked through many and didn't see any ade with Y seams but I could be wrong. Which particular quilt were you looking at 'cause I am curious?

Good eye, Ube... I completely missed that. Very cool how they did that... I'll search to see if I can find the other one I saw that did y-seams...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

Here's a scrappy example...not the one I originally saw but same concept

http://mollyflanders.blogspot.com/20...ed-y-seam.html
    Last edited by Teen; 11-21-2018 at 04:19 PM. Reason: corrected link

I hope I do not sound stupid but I am not sure what a set in seam is. When I made my braid quilt I just kept adding strips to the left and then the right. After that, I sliced off the little triangles on the sides.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast